Or Register for FREE!





Anistel






Zetacharlie's Avatar
Dogsey Veteran
 
Dogs owned: Female jack russell
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: North East England
Posts: 1,606
16-08-2006, 10:29 AM   #1

Antihistamines that are safe for dogs


Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award

Welcome to the Dogsey Forums!
Welcome to the LARGEST DOG FORUM in the world!!*

Welcome, you are seeing this message because you are viewing our dog owners forum as a guest. You are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Dog Lovers, on the biggest and best dog forum in the world!*

Doing so will unlock lots of features enabling you to participate on the site... and will also get rid of this message box and the advert on the left.

Click here to register for FREE!

*Dogsey hosts the largest English language dog-related forum in the world! By total number of posts.

Banned / Account Closed
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: uk
Posts: 21,778
16-08-2006, 10:45 AM   #2

Re: Antihistamines that are safe for dogs


I have always used Piriton for my dog and two vets (at different practices ) have told me that its fine to use. The vet said I can give him up to 3 piriton a day - he looked it up in a book whilst we were there, (spaced out evenly not all together) and that it is safe to use although he told me that anti-histamines don't seem to work as well in dogs as in humans. I mean the Piritons with 30 in the packet and are about 2.70 to buy not the one-a-day ones.



Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award


Zetacharlie's Avatar
Dogsey Veteran
 
Dogs owned: Female jack russell
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: North East England
Posts: 1,606
16-08-2006, 10:51 AM   #3

Re: Antihistamines that are safe for dogs


Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy
I have always used Piriton for my dog and two vets (at different practices ) have told me that its fine to use. The vet said I can give him up to 3 piriton a day - he looked it up in a book whilst we were there, (spaced out evenly not all together) and that is is safe to use although he told me that anti-histamines don't seem to work as well in dogs as in humans. I mean the Piritons with 30 in the packet and are about 2.70 to buy not the one-a-day ones.
Piriton is a brand name and not a generic one- not sure whether it is Loratadine or Cetirizine or another type ?Yeah you are right about the one a day ones-they are different from the regular ones Can u do me a favour and look on the pkg of Piriton to see what the active ingredient is ?



Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award


Banned / Account Closed
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: uk
Posts: 21,778
16-08-2006, 10:56 AM   #4

Re: Antihistamines that are safe for dogs


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetacharlie
Piriton is a brand name and not a generic one- not sure whether it is Loratadine or Cetirizine or another type ?Yeah you are right about the one a day ones-they are different from the regular ones Can u do me a favour and look on the pkg of Piriton to see what the active ingredient is ?
It says - Active: chlorphenamine maleate. also contains lactose, maize starch, magnesium stearate, colour yellow iron oxide (E172)

It also says chlorphenamine maleate Ph. Eur. 4mg

Yes Piriton is made by GlaxoSmithKline group of companies.



Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award


Zetacharlie's Avatar
Dogsey Veteran
 
Dogs owned: Female jack russell
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: North East England
Posts: 1,606
16-08-2006, 11:05 AM   #5

Re: Antihistamines that are safe for dogs


Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy
It says - Active: chlorphenamine maleate. also contains lactose, maize starch, magnesium stearate, colour yellow iron oxide (E172)

It also says chlorphenamine maleate Ph. Eur. 4mg

Yes Piriton is made by GlaxoSmithKline group of companies.
chlorphenamine is the active ingredient- thanks for that !that, loratadine and ceterizine are the 3 main common antihistamines. Good to know theres another one that is ok to use



Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award


morganstar's Avatar
Dogsey Veteran
 
Dogs owned: Welsh Springer Spaniels
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire
Posts: 4,853
16-08-2006, 12:20 PM   #6

Re: Antihistamines that are safe for dogs


I used piriton as well for stings mainly because this was recommended by my vet for my old dog who was allergic to grass seeds.



Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award


crazycockers's Avatar
Dogsey Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bristol UK
Posts: 6,077
16-08-2006, 12:33 PM   #7

Re: Antihistamines that are safe for dogs


Piriton here too! Last year Lily got stung on her mouth (probably ate a wasp knowing her) thankfully it brought the swelling right down.



Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award


Banned / Account Closed
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: uk
Posts: 21,778
16-08-2006, 01:56 PM   #8

Re: Antihistamines that are safe for dogs


Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycockers
Piriton here too! Last year Lily got stung on her mouth (probably ate a wasp knowing her) thankfully it brought the swelling right down.
Yes they are really handy to have in just in case aren't they



Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award


Pita's Avatar
Dogsey Veteran
 
Dogs owned: Norwegian Elkhound
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 6,219
16-08-2006, 02:00 PM   #9

Re: Antihistamines that are safe for dogs


Dogs need the original type antishistamines not the non-drowsy ones, boots do one that is fine for dogs.



Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award


Banned / Account Closed
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: uk
Posts: 21,778
16-08-2006, 02:17 PM   #10

Re: Antihistamines that are safe for dogs


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pita
Dogs need the original type antishistamines not the non-drowsy ones, boots do one that is fine for dogs.
Yes I have bought the Boots ones for Benji, think they are the same as Piriton but a bit cheaper, but don't make the mistake of telling them they are for your dog or all hell is let loose......



Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award

Reply

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 




Copyright ©2004-2014, Dogsey.com