Or Register for FREE!

Anistel

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Two ceossbreeds
19-06-2006, 11:20 PM   #11

Re: Dog riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules1
I've just signed their guest book! Don't think my message will be allowed :smt018
Might be a good idea for us all to express our feelings to them!
Good idea Jules, will just go back!!

POSTED!

Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award

Welcome to the Dogsey Forums!
Welcome to the LARGEST DOG FORUM in the world!!*

Welcome, you are seeing this message because you are viewing our dog owners forum as a guest. You are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Dog Lovers, on the biggest and best dog forum in the world!*

Doing so will unlock lots of features enabling you to participate on the site... and will also get rid of this message box and the advert on the left.

Click here to register for FREE!

*Dogsey hosts the largest English language dog-related forum in the world! By total number of posts.

New Member!

Dogs owned: Bernese Mountain Dog/Collie
theveld is Male
19-06-2006, 11:24 PM   #12

[font="Arial"]Looks like it's time for me to step in before this becomes a firestorm. I am the owner/creator of the aforementioned Dog Riders Society website, and I'm here to say a few things to set the record straight about it. For starters, I emphasize numerous times on my website that what you see there can only be done IF THE DOG WANTS TO DO IT. Dogs have their ways of letting kids know when they don't like something. In a family with a large breed dog as a pet, you know it's going to happen at least once. That's why it's normally the large breed dogs that are picked for this by the kids. Also, it's only small children (3-7 yrs old) that can safely do this. My site also serves another purpose - to help show the true natures of pit bulls, rotts, german sheps, and other breeds unfairly labeled. I've heard complaints about my site, yes - but I have many more fans of my site than haters. All I ask is that people take the time to see my site in full, and then they can post their feelings about it. Thank you.

Dogsey Junior

Dogs owned: Long Coat Chihuahuas
19-06-2006, 11:26 PM   #13

When I was younger (probably 4 or 5) I remember wanting to jump on my dog's back (English Bull Terrier) I remember my brother screaming at me to get off, followed by my mum and dad explaining to me why it was not a good idea... main reasons I remember are.. will hurt "Twiggy's" back, hips, etc. Also my dog was ill then too... Definitely not a "celebrated" or "hilarious family memory" in my household.. and of course I completely understand why.

Dogsey Junior

Dogs owned: Long Coat Chihuahuas
19-06-2006, 11:30 PM   #14

Although in response to theveld I haven't read the whole website, so i can't really comment on that side of it.. This was only my personal experience of "dogriding".

Dogsey Senior

Dogs owned: Chihuahua
19-06-2006, 11:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveld
[font="Arial"]Looks like it's time for me to step in before this becomes a firestorm. I am the owner/creator of the aforementioned Dog Riders Society website, and I'm here to say a few things to set the record straight about it. For starters, I emphasize numerous times on my website that what you see there can only be done IF THE DOG WANTS TO DO IT. Dogs have their ways of letting kids know when they don't like something. In a family with a large breed dog as a pet, you know it's going to happen at least once. That's why it's normally the large breed dogs that are picked for this by the kids. Also, it's only small children (3-7 yrs old) that can safely do this. My site also serves another purpose - to help show the true natures of pit bulls, rotts, german sheps, and other breeds unfairly labeled. I've heard complaints about my site, yes - but I have many more fans of my site than haters. All I ask is that people take the time to see my site in full, and then they can post their feelings about it. Thank you.
Thanks for logging in to set the record straight .. and I am sure that it does go a long way to dispelling the myths around certain breeds.. but I am sure you realise that some poeple will misunderstand your motives and the content of your site and that some dogs will suffer the consequences of being ridden a a result .. a big dog, a small child "riding" for the camera for 30 secs OK no harm done.....a big dog, a big chlid forcing animal to go round the garden for a proper "ride" not so good.. its hard to establish the full picture from your site but dogs are not made to be "ride ons"

Rachel

News Team

Dogs owned: Utonagan
19-06-2006, 11:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveld
You have got to be kidding, right? My dog would love to go and do things that could hurt him but it's my duty to watch out for him. A 'small' child (seven?????!!!) can weigh a lot and a dogs back is NOT suitable for riding. Unbelievable! Go get them a hobby horse, a bike or horse-riding lessons or something.

New Member!

Dogs owned: Bernese Mountain Dog/Collie
theveld is Male
19-06-2006, 11:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by darasa
Thanks for logging in to set the record straight .. and I am sure that it does go a long way to dispelling the myths around certain breeds.. but I am sure you realise that some poeple will misunderstand your motives and the content of your site and that some dogs will suffer the consequences of being ridden a a result .. a big dog, a small child "riding" for the camera for 30 secs OK no harm done.....a big dog, a big chlid forcing animal to go round the garden for a proper "ride" not so good.. its hard to establish the full picture from your site but dogs are not made to be "ride ons"

Rachel
You're right - big dog + big kid is not a good combo. Only small kids can do it safely, and only for a few minutes. I do not put anything on my website that encourages cruelty - I look over all material I recieve and decide if it's postable or not. All of the material on my site was sent to me by people who did indeed enjoy my site, and approved of what they saw.

Banned / Account Closed

Dogs owned: dog
20-06-2006, 09:23 AM   #18

I have 2 children under 8 years old, and even they know that while we may say "that dog is so big it's like a small horse" (or similar) it is not meant that it is OK to ride like a horse. Even they understand that a dog is not like a horse and it could really hurt them.

Even briefly for a photograph it is wrong.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Dobermann
20-06-2006, 09:43 AM   #19

Hmm, to be honest I was also a child that wasn't allowed on our family dogs back, I was allowed to crawl over her when laying down and sleep in the dog bed with her though

However I have to defend 'theveld' a little bit as he does have a lot of warnings on his site.

Dogsey Senior

Dogs owned: Chihuahua
20-06-2006, 10:06 AM   #20

Coincientally I have just seen the new Ad for crunchynut cornflkes, where an adult man rides his dog at a run all the way home from work...I know that it is CGI .. but I wonder how many children will see it and think it is real...

Rachel

Closed Thread