Or Register for FREE!

Anistel

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Dobermann
24-05-2006, 09:37 AM   #1

What age is a puppy/dog allowed to go up and down stairs?

Reply With Quote Nominate this person for a Member of The Month award

Welcome to the Dogsey Forums!
Welcome to the LARGEST DOG FORUM in the world!!*

Welcome, you are seeing this message because you are viewing our dog owners forum as a guest. You are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Dog Lovers, on the biggest and best dog forum in the world!*

Doing so will unlock lots of features enabling you to participate on the site... and will also get rid of this message box and the advert on the left.

Click here to register for FREE!

*Dogsey hosts the largest English language dog-related forum in the world! By total number of posts.

Fondly Remembered

Dogs owned: Boxers
24-05-2006, 09:43 AM   #2

Re: What age is a puppy/dog allowed to go up and down stairs?

Well, if it is any help to you I have Boxers and they are carried up and down stairs until 6 months of age - getting heavy by then but would prefer to put my own back out (or Mr SB's) rather than risk damage to their joints/bones.

If you cannot carry you dog then make sure that she goes up and down stairs slowly (on lead if necessary) and never let her put a strain on her forequarters by pulling herself up stairs.

If she is going down to be let out then yes, she is telling you she needs out. But keep an eye on her if she heads for the stairs so that you can carry her or restrain her from dashing down.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Leonbergers & XBreeds
24-05-2006, 10:41 AM   #3

Can you put a stair gate up.I would not let the Dog use the stairs until at least 6 months old longer if possible

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: 3 Dobermanns,Terrier,SBT, Pugs
24-05-2006, 10:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Well, if it is any help to you I have Boxers and they are carried up and down stairs until 6 months of age - getting heavy by then but would prefer to put my own back out (or Mr SB's) rather than risk damage to their joints/bones.

If you cannot carry you dog then make sure that she goes up and down stairs slowly (on lead if necessary) and never let her put a strain on her forequarters by pulling herself up stairs.

If she is going down to be let out then yes, she is telling you she needs out. But keep an eye on her if she heads for the stairs so that you can carry her or restrain her from dashing down.
Would echo this, it's the bounding up and down that needs to be avoided and leaping from half way down the stairs and landing at the bottom. Lots of pups think it is a great game to charge up and down the stairs. Just make sure she does it slowly

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Stafford x Lab
Stamford is Male
24-05-2006, 10:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer

SB would that advice be relevent throughout the dogs life,or just as they are developing? The reason i ask is that Ossie (13 month) SBT absolutely charges down (and up) the stairs.Usually chasing the kids.He doesn't however jump from them just goes up and down like a thing possessed.

Fondly Remembered

24-05-2006, 10:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamford
SB would that advice be relevent throughout the dogs life,or just as they are developing? The reason i ask is that Ossie (13 month) SBT absolutely charges down (and up) the stairs.Usually chasing the kids.He doesn't however jump from them just goes up and down like a thing possessed.
Once my dogs are over 6 months I train them to take the stairs 'steady'. Most dogs have not finished their physical development until 12 - 18 months, and longer for the very large breeds. Charging up and down stairs can not only be to the detriment of the dog's health but it can also be very dangerous for people who are using the stairs at the same time In old dogs taking stairs too enthusiastically can aggrevate joint conditions, particularly in the more stoical breeds which keep going even when they are hurting.

Dogsey Veteran

Dogs owned: Stafford x Lab
Stamford is Male
24-05-2006, 11:06 AM   #7

Thank you SB.The good thing with my boy is that he waits for the kids to reach the top before charging up,that must be instinct as i have not trained him to do this.But thanks for the advice.I will encourage him to take things slower from now on.

Fondly Remembered

24-05-2006, 11:20 AM   #8

He obviously has natural good manners , but it would be a good thing to encourage him to take the stairs a bit less energetically

Dogsey Veteran

24-05-2006, 11:41 AM   #9

Thanks guys, she is obviously getting heavy, but not too heavy that i cant lift her for a few more weeks. I think i will continue to carry her up and down (she does tend to 'bound' upstairs). And then make her do it slowly when she gets that bit to heavy.

Dogsey Veteran

27-05-2006, 11:28 PM   #10

We've got Suki walking up the stairs and she does this quite slowly because they are very steep. We carry her down them but it's getting really difficult because she is so big now. She positively refuses to walk down. Luckily my son who is 6'4" is able to carry her!