Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynx09
New Member!
Female 

21-01-2018, 07:40 PM

Backing out of a ‘contract’

After putting a deposit down on a wolfdog puppy and ‘electronically’ signing a contract, I did more research on this breed. From the breeders stand point they told me that owning a wolfdog in an apartment with a full time job and raising a 2 year old daughter it would work out fine with training. After speaking with several wolfdog breeder and owners I was told that information was false - that a wolfdog needs space. So after realizing I would not be an appropriate owner for this puppy I felt it was best I back out getting puppy. I have never seen this puppy nor owned in in my possession but the breeders are saying I still have to pay full amount for said puppy. Is this right? We were NOT asking back for a deposit but I do not feel seeing how I was doing right by the puppies future by not taking him in my care that I should be paying a full amount for a puppy I did not own. The contract does not state anywhere that if buyer backs out of contract that the buyer has to pay in full. I never paid completely for said puppy so I do not feel I have ownership of puppy until day of purchasing. Even the owner stated “ownership isn’t until full payment is made” which I have not. I understand the stress of finding a puppy a home but the puppy is just 5 weeks old so it still plenty young and can be easily homed. Because we back out we let them know we were NOT asking for the deposit which even on the contract it does not state that deposit is non refundable but we wanted to help out by letting them keep the deposit of $300.

I’m more so questioning, am I in the wrong? To me a breeder should have not even thought of me - a full time worker with a 2 year old living in an apartment shouldn’t have been qualified for owning one of these beautiful wolfdogs. I felt this animal would not be happy with us and was doing what was best for the puppy so he can find a more appropriate home.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2018, 08:53 PM
To be honest I see fault on both sides here, on your part you should have research said breed a lot more before you decided to bring such. Dog into your home, given your lifestyle this is a totally inappropriate breed of dog for you. Shame you never spoke to more people first.

As for the breeder of this pup. They come across as irresponsible to the extreme. They should never have approved of you as a prospective owner.

To be honest I would just tell them you have changed your mind and you don’t want the deposit back and leave it at that, if the threaten you with full payment again tell them to sue you. That will probably end the matter as it will cost them more in the long run and I doubt your contract is binding .
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2018, 09:06 PM
^^^^^^
I agree completely.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-01-2018, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
^^^^^^
I agree completely.
As do I. Irresponsible by both parties.
Lynx09
New Member!
Female 

21-01-2018, 09:29 PM
I COMPLETELY agree. I am not blaming the breeder completely because I know I should have done more research before even thinking about getting the breed and I’m ashamed of myself for that. I am glad that I found out more of the truth about this breed before making this dog suffer because of our lifestyle. Because of this that is why I was/ am never going to ask for the deposit back - I felt if anything I did owe them that to help him hopefully find a proper placement for him.
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2018, 09:39 PM
No you don't have to pay in full. I wouldn't worry about it. Tell them you don't want the puppy anymore and that should be that. If they continue to contact you tell them you will report them for harassment.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-01-2018, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Lynx09 View Post
I COMPLETELY agree. I am not blaming the breeder completely because I know I should have done more research before even thinking about getting the breed and I’m ashamed of myself for that. I am glad that I found out more of the truth about this breed before making this dog suffer because of our lifestyle. Because of this that is why I was/ am never going to ask for the deposit back - I felt if anything I did owe them that to help him hopefully find a proper placement for him.
I think you are to be commended for the steps you are now taking. Responsibility for the well being of the dog.

We got ours from a rescue centre. I would have taken him on the day we decided he was what we wanted. But the centre wouldn't let us until we qualified as suitable suitable owners. Visit the centre, walk him, get a home visit to check that it was suitable.

It sounds like your breeder took none of those steps. And maybe that's the difference between a rescue centre and a breeder. The rescue centre wants to ensure a good home and stable environment for the dog they rescued - often from a bad situation. The breeder wants to sell dogs. Their stock. That's their business.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2018, 09:50 PM
Totally agree with Jackie ... they sound extremely irresponsible breeders ... as an owner of wolf crosses for the past 22 years you have absolutely done the right thing ... this purchase would have been heartbreaking and bank-breaking for you, and devastating for the dog. Well done thiugh for seeing the light as it were before it was too late x gnasher
Lynx09
New Member!
Female 

21-01-2018, 10:23 PM
Coming to this decision was hard but I know it’s the right thing for this dog. I’m ashamed I didn’t do my research sooner and have learned from this experience. After the breeder encouraged me that this breed would make a good fit for us, I had faith with training and heavy socializing I would be able to have this beautiful animal but that was a false dream. Speaking with many wolfdog owners I felt confident that this dog would not be happy with us, specially with not having a proper yard - no yard at that. I’m not saying one day we won’t be appropriate owners some day but at this time I know we are not! When we do decide to go this route again I shall be properly educated and will go to a rescue instead of a breeder. I truly want the best for this pup and I honestly hope he is given the home he deserves, plenty of space and love.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-01-2018, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Lynx09 View Post
Coming to this decision was hard but I know it’s the right thing for this dog. I’m ashamed I didn’t do my research sooner and have learned from this experience. After the breeder encouraged me that this breed would make a good fit for us, I had faith with training and heavy socializing I would be able to have this beautiful animal but that was a false dream. Speaking with many wolfdog owners I felt confident that this dog would not be happy with us, specially with not having a proper yard - no yard at that. I’m not saying one day we won’t be appropriate owners some day but at this time I know we are not! When we do decide to go this route again I shall be properly educated and will go to a rescue instead of a breeder. I truly want the best for this pup and I honestly hope he is given the home he deserves, plenty of space and love.
Well you have definitely made the right decision and thankfully just in time.

The breeder has deliberately and willfully misled you so you have a counter claim if they should try to get nasty.

My advice would be to ask for your deposit back as well but if you've already put in writing that you don't want it you can't go down that route.

Just for the record we went 18 years between our first dog and our second because after our first dog jobs, location, and lots more changed.

There are far too many dog breeders in the world and most ('tho not all) are nasty money orientated thieves.

But it is 2018 after all and everything one sees in the media seems to encourage a 'screw 'em whenever you can' mentality.

Also I would try not to hope that this little puppy will end up in a good home, sadly with the way most two legged humans behave the chances are slim.

As I said you have done the right thing, don't beat yourself up that the pup may not go to a good home, it is something outside your control or influence in any way so don't dwell on it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >