View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pirarucu
New Member!
Female 

13-12-2017, 11:46 PM

English Bully is Lethargic, trembling, and very warm!

Please help!

My English bulldog is a male approaching 7 years old. My mom states that when he was released from his crate, he took five minutes before standing up and then walked only a few steps before seemingly collapsing. Mom turned him over and saw nothing wrong with him. No bloat, and he did not seem to have a tumor. (He did have cancer once and got a large tumor removed.) However, he did not seem to even notice, despite normally being a very touchy dog, snapping at people who touch him in a sensitive spot, like his feet, which she did touch, and even squeeze. He is also trembling on and off, and seems to have labored breathing. He has very warm ears and nose. He does not even play with our female bulldog, which is unusual. Despite this, my parents refuse to take him to the veterinarian. Is this an emergency?
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2017, 12:19 AM
Is this a joke? Of course it's an emergency. Sounds like a potentially life threatening situation, at minimum it's a serious issue.
Pirarucu
New Member!
Female 

14-12-2017, 12:21 AM
@Bulldogs4Life
I wish it was a joke. My parents did not want to take him to the vet. I thought that if somebody could say it is an emergency, that they'd take him to the vet. I'll tell them immediately.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2017, 07:16 AM
It is a joke ... and a very sick one
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2017, 09:30 AM
Yes, it is an emergency and yes your parents need to take your boy to the vets. Good luck in persuading them and well done for trying to take the initiative to get them to do it
Pirarucu
New Member!
Female 

14-12-2017, 01:21 PM
Followup: Okay, so my dog seems to have mostly recovered. My parents refused to take them to the vet (it's the holiday season, so money tends to be a bit tight around here), but he seems to be getting better. He got up, moved around, and ate his food with gusto. While he didn't drink water, I hand fed him some ice cubes, and I hope it helped.
While if I had a driver's license and a job, he'd have been at the vet last night, I feel just a tinge better knowing that he's on the road to recovery. Mom didn't want to take him to the ER because she feared they would put him down. They assumed the dog had a stroke, and most dogs will fully recover from a stroke within 24 hours and be fine, so they wanted to leave him here. While I have differing opinions to this, I am glad that his condition is improved. Thank you for your responses.
Note that my reason for posting this was not to scare or anger members of this respectable forum, it was to convince my parents to bring my beloved bully to the vet. I am sorry to those of you who think I am playing a sick joke. I am an animal lover myself, and I know that jokes like them are NOT funny. Please accept my apology if I have angered you.
Here is a picture of my beloved bulldog, now in his crate so that I can go to school and my parents can go to work.