Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Missgabrielep
New Member!
Female 

19-11-2017, 07:09 AM

Is my dog too rough with the new pup?

I have a 7month old beagle. We got her from 10 weeks old off a sheep farm.

She was fine for the first few months of having her but once she got past the teething stage, she started being very distructive when we go to work.

I mean me and my partner come back every 3-4 hours to let her out and feed her and when I get home I spend hours with her training her and taking her out to excercise but she still destroys everything she can.

we have asked around for help and the main conclusion was that we should maybe get a companion for her.

So yesterday we brought back home an 8 week old Australian Shepard (bitch), off one of the top breeders in this country.

We did let them meet on a public road (me holding the pup as she hasn't got all of the vaccines yet) and then brought both of them in the house (one dog on one side of a baby gate, the other on the other side) and let them meet each other better.

The beagle was so happy! with her tail wagging like mad! The puppy wasn't really too bothered about the beagle.

So we slowly started letting them in the room together to see what they do!

The Aussie isn't really bothered about the beagle and will happily do her own thing but the beagle will not leave her alone! She has to followe the puppy everywhere he goes, keeps jumping onto the puppie with her front paws, taking most of the puppies treats off her even though they both got one each! And the main thing is that the beagle keeps putting her head under the puppy and lifting her up in the air which then results in the puppy falling over.

Is this a normal behaviour ?
I'm really worried that is a sign of jealousy?

SOMETIMES when the beagle gets really rough my 8week old Aussie does very gently growl or nip her to let her know it hurts but this gets the beagle going even more!

At night time we have set up a pen for the puppy in the living groom where the beagle sleeps just to make sure the puppy is out of the beagles way and that the beagle doesn't hurt her !

Can anyone help?
Is this ok behaviour?

If worries me sick not knowing what to do! And it's really getting to me
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Lol it's all perfectly normal behaviour but you shouldn't allow the older dog to nick the pups treats, you should train them to only take the ones you give them. Is the night time arrangement going to carry on through the day when your not there? Also be aware a companion won't instantly make the beagle non destructive, training and good housekeeping usually work with that and you might end up with two destructive dogs but hopefully not.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-11-2017, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by Missgabrielep View Post
I have a 7month old beagle. We got her from 10 weeks old off a sheep farm.

She was fine for the first few months of having her but once she got past the teething stage, she started being very distructive when we go to work.

I mean me and my partner come back every 3-4 hours to let her out and feed her and when I get home I spend hours with her training her and taking her out to excercise but she still destroys everything she can.

we have asked around for help and the main conclusion was that we should maybe get a companion for her.

So yesterday we brought back home an 8 week old Australian Shepard (bitch), off one of the top breeders in this country.

We did let them meet on a public road (me holding the pup as she hasn't got all of the vaccines yet) and then brought both of them in the house (one dog on one side of a baby gate, the other on the other side) and let them meet each other better.

The beagle was so happy! with her tail wagging like mad! The puppy wasn't really too bothered about the beagle.

So we slowly started letting them in the room together to see what they do!

The Aussie isn't really bothered about the beagle and will happily do her own thing but the beagle will not leave her alone! She has to followe the puppy everywhere he goes, keeps jumping onto the puppie with her front paws, taking most of the puppies treats off her even though they both got one each! And the main thing is that the beagle keeps putting her head under the puppy and lifting her up in the air which then results in the puppy falling over.

Is this a normal behaviour ?
I'm really worried that is a sign of jealousy?

SOMETIMES when the beagle gets really rough my 8week old Aussie does very gently growl or nip her to let her know it hurts but this gets the beagle going even more!

At night time we have set up a pen for the puppy in the living groom where the beagle sleeps just to make sure the puppy is out of the beagles way and that the beagle doesn't hurt her !

Can anyone help?
Is this ok behaviour?

If worries me sick not knowing what to do! And it's really getting to me
Sounds like the Aussie is holding his own letting the beagle know when enough is enough.