Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mayamoo
New Member!
Female 

12-11-2017, 12:04 PM

Training ideas for sniffers?

Hi everyone,

I've just adopted a rescue Boxer/Bloodhound mix. She is 4 and generally a good sweet girl despite being practically untrained. She has a lot of energy and pulls constantly on the lead so I'm obviously starting with the basics and cannot trust her off the lead yet. In the house she's a boxer but when on walks she is in full nose-to-the-ground-bloodhound mode and it's quite difficult to get her to engage. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how I could incorporate her 'sniffer' instinct into her training. Maybe in the form of a game? I'm thinking if I can put in place some kind of structure around this behaviour it might be easier when I come to recall training. What do you think?

Rebecca
Skylar Bryant
New Member!
Female 

01-12-2017, 07:36 PM
I think your dog has a lot of curiosity, suspicious, doubtful and really careful compared to other dogs! It is not a bad thing, but yes it does distract from walking and disrupts engaging. How about giving her other points to focus on?
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-12-2017, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Mayamoo View Post
Hi everyone,

I've just adopted a rescue Boxer/Bloodhound mix. She is 4 and generally a good sweet girl despite being practically untrained. She has a lot of energy and pulls constantly on the lead so I'm obviously starting with the basics and cannot trust her off the lead yet.
Why not? What do you think would happen?