Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2017, 08:58 AM

Mine and Tyto's short break

We headed off on 12th October on Thursday evening at 6.38pm to get on the train to Victoria from Lancing and then into a taxi to take us to Euston for the Caledonian Sleeper. This left at 9.15pm and arrived at Inverness at 8.38am Friday morning. So a long journey but overnight so we didn't notice really. The journey was with out a hitch. Hm not like the last day. More of that later. Anyway we got to the house and it was lovely, it looked over the canal where the swing bridge opened to let all the cruisers through. Boats that is, not humans. Waited in for Tesco to deliver and then went for a walk along the Caledonian canal with Tyto and daughter Sara. On Saturday went into Inverness City centre by bus and found the Victorian Market where their are lots of independent shops. Lovely place and found two beautiful silver rings for Sara. Her belated birthday present from me. On Sunday we went on a cruise round the Moray Firth looking for dolphins and seals. Didn't see any dolphins but I did sea a Grey seal bobbing about. Tyto thought all passengers were there for him and behaved impecably. Can't fault this lovely companion of mine. 12 years old next month. Took everything in his stride. Anyway I dogress. Came back after the trip to the house and started to prepare something to eat and there was a loud knock on the door and who should be standing there but Norma aka bumblesnout having come up on the train from Perth to see us. Fabulous surprise and all to short a visit as she had to catch the train home again to Perth at around 5pm. It was great to see you Norma. When Norma had gone we settled down to watch some tv. Monday came round, which was the last day of our short stay and it rained all day except for a brief spell around lunchtime when we went for a quick walk along the canal side. Lovely autumnal colours but the sky had a strange colour. We were reliably told by the weather men this was due to sahara dust and the storm that was coming. Huh he wasn't kidding. Anyway we ate all that was left of our delivery and packed up our belongings and got in the taxi at around 8pm to catch the Caledonian Sleeper at 8.44 from Inverness. This was on time. We settled into our cabins and had something to eat and a drinkie or two. Then there was a knock on our cabin door and the steward was there saying that if there was a problem with the train being stopped because of power lines coming down would we prefer to be woken or not. We said no that would be fine to leave us sleeping. Huh famous last words. Well not quite. There was a loud knocking at around 3am on our door and as I was still awake I opened the door to be told that we must all get our belongings together and leave the train and go to a hotel just up the road.We asked where were we we as it was pitch black and we were told Edinburgh. We were directed to the The Jury's Inn. It was around 4 o'clock in the morning on Tuesday. Anyway we were told a tree had come down on the Locherbie rail line and the train could go no further. So we waited in the hotel for an anouncement from the staff on the Sleeper which eventually came. We were given coffees and other drinks for free which was ok. But we were all a bit tired but Tyto just slept or dog napped when ever we stopped. He did pee when there was an available tree. Anyway we eventually got on another train at 5.40am from Edinburgh to Kings Cross, which arrived at around 9ish We then cought our taxi which had kept in touch with us all through the latter part of the journey on the train to pick us up when we got to Kings Cross and then took us to Victoria which we then found some trains cancelled or not running to time. Eventually we got on a train to Shoreham-by-Sea and then another train to take us to our final destination Lancing. We arrived at Lancing at just before 2pm. A trip of 18 hours which should have only taken two thirds of that time. I put Tyto and my luggage into my car which was
outside daughters house and came home. Leaving her to catch up on some much needed sleep. So a real adventure that is be hopefully never repeated. My dog Tyto was a star through it all and after only been for a number two at 4pm on the Monday eventually went when we got back to our green across the road from my house. Mind you he took his time on deciding to do that as there were sniffs to catch up on.
Hope who ever reads this enjoys the journey.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2017, 09:08 AM
wow, sounds like a great trip...except for the return journey!!!!
Norma is such a nice lady and what a great surprise for you
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2017, 09:22 AM
Oh Brenda what an experience! Glad you met Norma. Lovely to meet up with people you have been in touch with for years. What a journey back though! Now you need another break, glad Tyto was exemplary!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2017, 09:23 AM
What a lovely detailed account and a lovely story you will be a laughing about this in the future...........holidays with a "factor" alway get a memory the storm holiday etc etc. Sounds like you loved the area fancy taking a sleeper train something I have always wanted to do no idea why I haven't but you have parked me again. Sounds like Tyto really enjoyed it a lovely sounding chap. And fancy Norma coming to see you thats lovey if you ever hit the Birmingham way look for an old red fiat panda called Percy and me............hope you've had a lovely sleep and refreshed from your break.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2017, 09:36 AM
Wrong bit should of been daily sorry
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2017, 12:22 PM
Kazz I love the sleeper train. Been on it twice now and although we did have to alight at Edinburgh it was still lovely. Looked after really well. And I must give credit to the taxi companies to. So well organised. Oo the sun is coming out so hopefully it will dry up before I take my newly bathed Tyto out. Haven't rushed into doing the usual today as he is still a bit tired although he has been playing with his fluffy Highland Cow that he chose in the shop we went in. bg!! So sorry that I can't put pics on as no idea how to.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2017, 08:28 PM
Sounds a really lovely holiday, the return journey was a bit of an adventure. How fab that you met Norma too
Glad you had a good break. Well done Tyto too
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2021, 07:08 AM
Memories are made of this. Go on take your dog on the sleeper train they will love it. I miss him so very much.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2021, 08:39 PM
I have seen this; as just looking at holidays away will factor a sleeper train in for me and Gert. Seems like only yesterday you posted and I replied how time flies.