Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zoifriend
New Member!
Female 

20-08-2017, 03:38 AM

Smaller dogs cannot accept large dog

Hi, this is my first post. I have kind of a long story, so here goes:

I have always raised a breed of toy dogs that are lovely and amazing and perfect for our quiet household, where it's just my husband and I. But 2 years ago, my lifelong dream of owning a large breed sighthound became a reality- something I thought I was prepared for due to having worked with so many dogs of all sizes at a kennel and a veterinary office.

Needless to say that even though I had studied up on them- enough to believe they were couch potatoes and even "apartment dogs" (ha!) having a massive wild child puppy has been way more difficult than I had ever imagined, especially when it comes to the small dogs. They basically think he's Godzilla and the house is Tokyo. When he's in the same room they hide under the sofa or pile onto my lap hoping I'll keep him away. The senior female (who had previously loved every dog she's ever met) snaps at him every time he sniffs her- thank goodness he hasn't ever reacted to that. I thought that after some time had passed they would accept him, but they haven't at all. Even though I work from home, he spends a part of the day crated or outside to give them a break from him.

The sad part is he's a lovely, if energetic, boy- just absolutely loves people and attention. I know all he wants is for the little ones to play with him, but I don't ever see that happening if they can't get over their fear.

Has anyone dealt with anything similar?