Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rickers
New Member!
Female 

24-07-2017, 12:18 PM

Quality of life; Should her eyes be removed

I am currently with my own dog at my parents for a week of dog sitting. I am concerned about the welfare of my parents Shih tzu/Cocker Spaniel in regards to her eyes. When she was adopted she was rescued from a huge puppy mill bust as a breeder, she was one of around 100 dogs who were able to be adopted, 250 others were in such poor health that they had to be euthanized. So it gives you an idea of the care she had for her first 3 years of life.

When she was adopted years ago she had a small cherry eye issue, they tried to fix it 4 times, but each time she figured out a way to rub her eyes and they would pop back out(they went threw some big measures to prevent it but no such luck). Well its been 7 years since that time, shes now completely blind, has to have her eyes flushed 4 times daily because this green goop builds up quickly, she can't blink so she gets artificial tears very often and is very uncomfortable for her to get her eyes flushed so she shakes during it.

I believe that it has become a real concern to me of her quality of life, she seems very uncomfortable in general, sleeps 95% of the time and I was wondering if at this point should I suggest they look to remove her eyes? Would this be more traumatic then beneficial?