Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sfridrich
New Member!
Female 

26-06-2017, 09:31 PM

Training tips for older puppy

Hi all,
I have a year and a half old blood hound. I got him from a co-worker. He has had no training and has been attached to a 30 foot leash his whole life I've been taking him on walks everyday, which has helped with him being less skiddish. However, he doesn't like treats, so it's hard to entice him to learn basic training. I'm having a hard time teaching him sit and back (he has space issues). Does anyone have any tips and tricks on how to teach an older dog with bad habits basic training skills? I'm also working on my patience haha. Thanks everyone!
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0267.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	5601  
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2017, 03:09 PM
You need to find something that he will work for - that may be special food rewards such as cooked chicken or liver, cheese, hotdogs etc, or a certain toy he loves - some dogs like squeaky toys, others like a ball or tuggy etc. You will have probably found that your bloodhound's life is ruled by his nose. They are one of the best tracking breeds on the planet. Have you considered teaching him either air scenting or man trailing to harness his natural instincts and you can use the provision of work he loves to help train basic obedience.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2017, 03:20 PM
If you can get them, tripe treats. Really stinky. Use them before he is fed so that he has an appetite. Make sure it is natural tripe. The other food that you feed needs to be lowish in protein unless of course your feeding natural then that won't matter. Try not to rush things. Have you had dogs before? Try to think of him as a puppy and go from there. teach very basic stuff first.