register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tenatious
New Member!
Tenatious is offline  
Location: Hampshire, UK
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 8
Male 
 
29-05-2017, 09:57 AM

New Goldendoodle Puppy - Reassurance Please!

Hello,

First time dog owner. Picked up Barney the Goldendoodle on Saturday afternoon at 9 weeks old. He's an absolutely gorgeous boy. He has had his vaccinations at 8 weeks and also worming/fleaing. His first vet visit with me is scheduled for Wednesday.

Being new to the whole dog owning I just wanted some reassurance on a couple of points:

Firstly, food:

The breeder told me he had been on Beta Pup Chicken so I bought some of this from Pets at Home. Now if I'm reading the packet correctly it suggests he should be on anything from 210-590g a day. Quite a difference! What I initially gave him on the first day was 100g moistened with warm water which he left a little bit of so the next day I reduced it down to 85g first thing in the morning. He ate most of this so gave him the same for lunch and dinner but he didn't eat a massive amount of these.

This morning I gave him 75g and moistened it as before and he barely touched it in 20 minutes. I'd say he probably ate about 30g of it. After about 2 hours, he regurgitated the food. It looked exactly like it did when he ate it and then he proceeded to eat it again. Should I be worried about this? How much should I actually be feeding him and is Beta Pup the right thing to be giving him?

Now I don't know if this is related to number two:

Sleep time:

So the first night I crated him in my bedroom and he generally slept quite well. I woke up every 3 hours to take him out and there were no accidents. He has a bit of a fear of the crate already I think from the drive home where he got a little bit car sick. So last night I tried to stick him in his crate downstairs away from me to see what happened and I think it generally was okay. He whined for about 10 minutes and then fell asleep. He woke up a couple of hours later so I took him outside. Again, he whined for about 10 minutes when I left him. He then proceeded to sleep for a whole 5 hours without waking up or having an accident.

Have I been too quick in putting him out of sight at night? Has the made him scared and put him off food?

He seems relatively okay today. Still bouncy if I'm taking him outside or playing with his toys but also quite tired. I'm wondering if he actually slept at all last night and not just lay there because even the slightest movement/noise from me when he is laying down "sleeping" seems to make him stir.

Please reassure me on some of these things!

Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	18700333_10154603701561717_3252339993752492091_n.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	5575  
Reply With Quote
tawneywolf
Moderator
tawneywolf is offline  
Location: Bolton
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 24,075
Female  Gold Supporter 
 
29-05-2017, 10:27 AM
Puppies sleep, a lot. Don't overdo things and keep everything calm. Big change in his life from being with mum and siblings to a strange place and routine.
Can't comment on feeding as I'm not a fan of highly processed commercial food,if you decide to change,do it gradually not all at once.
Reply With Quote
Tenatious
New Member!
Tenatious is offline  
Location: Hampshire, UK
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 8
Male 
 
29-05-2017, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Puppies sleep, a lot. Don't overdo things and keep everything calm. Big change in his life from being with mum and siblings to a strange place and routine.
Can't comment on feeding as I'm not a fan of highly processed commercial food,if you decide to change,do it gradually not all at once.
I'm not overly concerned about him sleeping a lot. The most worrying thing for me at the moment is that he regurgitated is food. I have given him more since and so far it has stayed down so maybe it was just a once off? Will see if this stuff stays down this time. Also worried that he isn't drinking much water at all today compared to what he did yesterday.

I have already opted to move him over to raw food from Luna & Me. Just waiting for the delivery which I assume will come tomorrow and then I'll swap him over gradually.
Reply With Quote
tawneywolf
Moderator
tawneywolf is offline  
Location: Bolton
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 24,075
Female  Gold Supporter 
 
29-05-2017, 10:52 AM
If you are changing onto raw then you can do a straight swop as its natural and unprocessed. Don't be afraid to give chicken wings and drumsticks, bones etc. He's well able to cope with them, got lots of piccies of babies with bones at 4 and 5 weeks old if you need reassurance!!
Reply With Quote
Tenatious
New Member!
Tenatious is offline  
Location: Hampshire, UK
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 8
Male 
 
29-05-2017, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
If you are changing onto raw then you can do a straight swop as its natural and unprocessed. Don't be afraid to give chicken wings and drumsticks, bones etc. He's well able to cope with them, got lots of piccies of babies with bones at 4 and 5 weeks old if you need reassurance!!
That's good to know then! I'll swap him over as soon as it arrives then 😊

He just ate about 25g of the 50g I gave him of the moistened kibble. Hasn't really touched much water but then there was some in the kibble so maybe that's why?
Reply With Quote
tawneywolf
Moderator
tawneywolf is offline  
Location: Bolton
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 24,075
Female  Gold Supporter 
 
29-05-2017, 11:24 AM
It may sound a bit daft but it could be the change of water. Heard about lots of puppies being off colour for a few days due to this and some breeders actually send their puppies off with not only a weeks supply of food but water to cover the first 24 hours. Dried food is very dry, raw food they don't tend to drink a lot because of the water content in it. Make sure he has access to clean water and watch him, did he come with 4 weeks Pet Plan insurance
Reply With Quote
Tenatious
New Member!
Tenatious is offline  
Location: Hampshire, UK
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 8
Male 
 
29-05-2017, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
It may sound a bit daft but it could be the change of water. Heard about lots of puppies being off colour for a few days due to this and some breeders actually send their puppies off with not only a weeks supply of food but water to cover the first 24 hours. Dried food is very dry, raw food they don't tend to drink a lot because of the water content in it. Make sure he has access to clean water and watch him, did he come with 4 weeks Pet Plan insurance
Could be that cause we have very hard water here. He has a bowl full there whenever he wants it in the kitchen which is in easy reach at all times.

Will see how he goes over the next day or two. He has his first vet checkup with me on Wednesday any way so I'm sure they'll give him the once over

No I got my own cover.
Reply With Quote
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Chris is offline  
Location: Lincolnshire
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,462
Female 
 
29-05-2017, 12:06 PM
Give him a little time to settle down. The regurgitation is nothing to worry about unless it happens regularly after meals. He is still settling in.

I also wouldn't worry about moving his crate downstairs. It sounds very much like he coped with it well.

All puppies react differently so while moving the crate might have worried some, some will cope very easily with it.

It's all trial and error with puppies until you find what suits your pup the best
Reply With Quote
Tenatious
New Member!
Tenatious is offline  
Location: Hampshire, UK
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 8
Male 
 
29-05-2017, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Give him a little time to settle down. The regurgitation is nothing to worry about unless it happens regularly after meals. He is still settling in.

I also wouldn't worry about moving his crate downstairs. It sounds very much like he coped with it well.

All puppies react differently so while moving the crate might have worried some, some will cope very easily with it.

It's all trial and error with puppies until you find what suits your pup the best
Ok

I'm sure it's just new dad worrying!
Reply With Quote
tawneywolf
Moderator
tawneywolf is offline  
Location: Bolton
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 24,075
Female  Gold Supporter 
 
29-05-2017, 02:21 PM
Probably is, my new owners usually ring me every day for the first week, and then often during the 2nd week, and by the 3rd week they are not as anxious and they are getting into the swing of it. Just like bringing a new baby home from hospital, all of a sudden you are on your own and you have no clue what to do.
Vet will probably faint if you mention raw feeding, so don't be drawn into buying some expensive Science Diet or the like.
Once he's had his 2nd vax and done his 10 days before hitting the world, find out where your nearest training club is and get him enrolled, look for one that does the KC Good Citizen Scheme, not only will you get excellent input from other owners and the trainers but your boy will benefit from the socialisation with other dogs of all ages and sizes
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Goldendoodle! Jay 1 Your Introductions 20 19-07-2009 09:39 PM
Goldendoodle puppy (how much exercise for my puppy) Goldendoodle Dog Health 11 23-03-2009 03:44 PM
some reassurance please?(leaving a puppy for the first time) esmed Training 10 21-12-2008 05:35 PM
Puppy training- reassurance needed littlelab Training 3 21-11-2008 03:07 PM

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top