Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DogOwner111
New Member!
Female 

02-05-2017, 09:53 PM

Dod Consistent Scratching And Licking

For the past few months our dog started scratching and licking. She is scratching only her sides and licking near her bottom area, the inside of her upper back legs. We have used revolution a flea treatment, used a spray around the house made to kill fleas, which has not stopped the behavior. Tried Benadryl which has not shown to change anything. Have tried switching to a grain free food (taste of the wild) and it hasn't changed her behavior. I don't really see any dead/dry skin really, kinda hard to tell so I haven't ruled that out yet even though we have bathed her in a dog shampoo made for dry itchy skin relief. I have tried even using Apple Cider vinegar in the last few days, applied to her skin, and that hasn't changed anything. Any ideas would be appreciated. She is 4 years old and about 27 pounds and her fur type is kinda fluffy, so not short haired. She is spayed and also up do date on all shots.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2017, 11:05 PM
Personally, I would try a different flea treatment only because I know that Frontline here doesn't do the trick for my girl, but Stronghold does.

If that didn't make a difference, I'd take her to the vets to have her anal glands checked and if they were ok a full vet check to try to get to the root cause of the problem
DogOwner111
New Member!
Female 

02-05-2017, 11:40 PM
She has had her anal glands checked last year and they were fine.

She has been on revolution for a few years, she did move states with me though as of late last year.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2017, 04:48 AM
Anal glands can present problems from day to day if something in the diet changes. Just one ingredients can do it so worth having them checked. If the vet has ruled something's out then a groomer could check them for you or the vet nurse. If it is an allergy it could be anything. Takes a long time to find out. Don't use another flea treatment yet until you have ruled out the glands.
DogOwner111
New Member!
Female 

03-05-2017, 01:52 PM
Do anal gland issues cause a dog to scratch a lot?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2017, 04:38 PM
They cause an irritation (imagine a spot filled to bursting) and the only way a dog has of relieving irritation is to lick and scratch.

Of course, licking and scratching can be an indication of fleas or any other type of irritation but from your description, anal glands are definitely a consideration
DogOwner111
New Member!
Female 

03-05-2017, 11:57 PM
Okay so I am pretty confident I know whats wrong.
She always hides from me when she chews on herself and so tonight I watched her carefully and got close enough to see what she was going at, she was chewing on her upper thigh on the outside, not her anal area after all.
I pulled back the fur to see and she has a very small sore, also near the base of her tail and up some more is some redness and irritation, then I caught a flea in that section. So obviously there is a flea issue.

Now, the next step is to sooth her irritated skin, which advice on that would be greatly appreciated, and to find a way to get rid of the fleas.

If the house still has fleas does that mean the revolution I treated her with isn't working or does that mean that there is an infestation of fleas in the house?

If so how do I go about getting rid of the flea infestation?

Any help appreciated, never had a flea issue like this until moving to Georgia as of recent. The revolution has always taken care of the fleas I assume since she hasn't had behavior like this until we moved. Any flea treatment recommendations and what steps need to be taken next would be appreciated.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2017, 07:51 AM
Did you move into a house that had carpets already down? If so then removing all those carpeted areas will help. Go to a very good pet store or vet and buy some spray or powder that is for use on fleas in the house. Spray round and leave on overnight and then hoover up. This has to be done regularly until they have all gone.Usually every seven days. Be careful to have windows open to get rid of the smell as it can be bad for you and the dog to breathe in. If there are cats living in the area then they will also add to the problem. Don't re spot your dog until at least another week has gone by since you did her. You could bath her in a very good flea shampoo but again get this from your vet. You should be able to buy it from them. I found a good shampoo with coconut in it worked when I had the problem but touch wood all have gone now.
DogOwner111
New Member!
Female 

04-05-2017, 08:29 PM
What coconut shampoo was it exactly?

Thanks for the advice!
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2017, 04:45 AM
I bought it online. It is called cocomutt. Hopefully you can buy it to be shipped to you. Coconut and neem oil shampoo. It comes in a bar not a bottle. Amazon may have it.