register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GitaBooks
Dogsey Junior
GitaBooks is offline  
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 24
Female 
 
18-03-2017, 12:42 AM

Rescues keep filling up

I've worked as a volunteer at my local shelter for about a year now, and this week it just is getting to me how many dogs keep coming in. We are a small Humane Society, but it seems like so many people are abandoning their dogs right now. Adopters are returning them, sometimes for seemingly no reason at all. Most of the dogs we get aren't spayed or neutered, some have heart-worm, others flea allergies, some are emaciated, aren't vaccinated for parvo and so are at risk and others have behavior issues. But still, so many dogs that go unclaimed are great dogs! They are good around people, children, other dogs, cats, and even know sit or heal. It makes me really sad to see them all being over-looked.

Does anyone know any way besides simply word of mouth that can help these dogs get adopted? We've lowered their price to $50 for the entire march month. I'm not sure if a adoption event is planned or not, but still, in past months dogs were adopted one or two a week and now it seems like it takes two weeks for even one to get a home, and with so many getting returned without even being given a chance....

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. It's just so stressful to not know if the dogs will have to wait for months. My favorite currently is Sasha, and she's been here for around 5 months at least. Rigby, Alby, and Freckles about equally as long if not longer.

Is there something about spring that prevents people from wanting dogs?
Reply With Quote
Jas
Dogsey Junior
Jas is offline  
Location: UK
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 49
Male 
 
20-03-2017, 12:15 PM
Perhaps it is the post Christmas influx? I volunteer at a shelter and they are actually pretty quiet at the moment. I'm not sure if dropping the price is a good idea, people perceive things as better when they pay more. Does the shelter vet the people's homes and situation before allowing the dog to go?
Reply With Quote
Besoeker
Almost a Veteran
Besoeker is offline  
Location: Dunstable UK
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,124
Male 
 
20-03-2017, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by GitaBooks View Post
I've worked as a volunteer at my local shelter for about a year now, and this week it just is getting to me how many dogs keep coming in. We are a small Humane Society, but it seems like so many people are abandoning their dogs right now. Adopters are returning them, sometimes for seemingly no reason at all. Most of the dogs we get aren't spayed or neutered, some have heart-worm, others flea allergies, some are emaciated, aren't vaccinated for parvo and so are at risk and others have behavior issues. But still, so many dogs that go unclaimed are great dogs! They are good around people, children, other dogs, cats, and even know sit or heal. It makes me really sad to see them all being over-looked.

Does anyone know any way besides simply word of mouth that can help these dogs get adopted? We've lowered their price to $50 for the entire march month. I'm not sure if a adoption event is planned or not, but still, in past months dogs were adopted one or two a week and now it seems like it takes two weeks for even one to get a home, and with so many getting returned without even being given a chance....

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. It's just so stressful to not know if the dogs will have to wait for months. My favorite currently is Sasha, and she's been here for around 5 months at least. Rigby, Alby, and Freckles about equally as long if not longer.

Is there something about spring that prevents people from wanting dogs?
I think one of the reasons that dogs boomerang back is that some of thoes people who want a dog don't fully understand the committment dog ownership requires.
Reply With Quote
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Chris is offline  
Location: Lincolnshire
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,461
Female 
 
20-03-2017, 05:59 PM
The main thing is to be totally honest with people. Tell them as much as you can about the dog's personality, history and any quirks s/he may have. You may find you get less returns that way.

We have a very small rescue operation here. Basically a guy who has a number of contacts who are willing to foster. To raise money and awareness, he takes his van into town, runs a small raffle, takes donations and always has a couple of dogs needing homes with him. It's surprising how many dogs he has found homes for this way. He does do thorough checks on prospective owners though before they are allowed to adopt a dog
Reply With Quote
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
CaroleC is online now  
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 795
Female 
 
20-03-2017, 07:16 PM
A small rescue in Derbyshire enter 2 or 3 of their dogs at local pet and companion shows. There is always a good sized animal loving crowd at these events, and it's a bit of fun for them and the dogs. They use leads with the name of the rescue woven in, and between classes they wear jackets printed with, I Need a Home, printed on the sides.
Reply With Quote
Besoeker
Almost a Veteran
Besoeker is offline  
Location: Dunstable UK
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,124
Male 
 
20-03-2017, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The main thing is to be totally honest with people. Tell them as much as you can about the dog's personality, history and any quirks s/he may have. You may find you get less returns that way.

We have a very small rescue operation here. Basically a guy who has a number of contacts who are willing to foster. To raise money and awareness, he takes his van into town, runs a small raffle, takes donations and always has a couple of dogs needing homes with him. It's surprising how many dogs he has found homes for this way. He does do thorough checks on prospective owners though before they are allowed to adopt a dog
Good that he does. We had to walk ours every day for a week at the rescue centre. Proves that you are serious. And we had a home visit six weeks in.
I can't fault that.

And Max has come a long way from the shy fellow we took on.
Non, je ne regrette rien.
Reply With Quote
GitaBooks
Dogsey Junior
GitaBooks is offline  
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 24
Female 
 
20-03-2017, 10:26 PM
First off, thanks so much for the replies! It really means a lot to know there are others out there who care.

Originally Posted by Jas View Post
Perhaps it is the post Christmas influx? I volunteer at a shelter and they are actually pretty quiet at the moment. I'm not sure if dropping the price is a good idea, people perceive things as better when they pay more. Does the shelter vet the people's homes and situation before allowing the dog to go?
We are a small rural shelter, but we make sure to check out all people before adoptions, especially for dogs with special needs or care like those that do poorly with cats, children or other dogs. However, it's hard to be choosy because there are less adopters in rural areas then in suburbs or cities.


Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The main thing is to be totally honest with people. Tell them as much as you can about the dog's personality, history and any quirks s/he may have. You may find you get less returns that way.

We have a very small rescue operation here. Basically a guy who has a number of contacts who are willing to foster. To raise money and awareness, he takes his van into town, runs a small raffle, takes donations and always has a couple of dogs needing homes with him. It's surprising how many dogs he has found homes for this way. He does do thorough checks on prospective owners though before they are allowed to adopt a dog
From what I've seen the shelter tends to be very honest. I'm a volunteer so I don't necessarily work the adoptions, but if anyone asks me questions I make sure to let them know the dogs real age, personality, ect. I know that we have a senior that does best without small children, and it is on his tag so that people know. Other dogs we put up as poor with cats. It seems to me that most people just don't think about these things though when adopting. I know one person actually tried to feed all her dogs from one dish and so consider a dog she adopted "aggressive". She was totally sweet and after being returned found an awesome home. It's just hard to know what people will do sometimes.
Reply With Quote
GitaBooks
Dogsey Junior
GitaBooks is offline  
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 24
Female 
 
25-03-2017, 05:40 AM
Finally we've got some of the adoptions we've been waiting for!!!

Charlotte, T-Bone, Lance, and Lester all found homes and Rosie, Patrick and Gus went to rescues to help them with their more individual needs. That is six open kennels for some of our adoptable dogs not on view to move into. This means Pork Chop might finally get some interest and hopefully Jolene the hound, who is going up for adoption soon, can move out there too!
Reply With Quote
GitaBooks
Dogsey Junior
GitaBooks is offline  
Location: Ohio, USA
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 24
Female 
 
03-04-2017, 01:45 AM
Our 6-month-resident, and my favorite shelter doggie, was adopted yesterday into her forever home! Congratulations, Sasha, I'm so happy!

Not only this, but Coltrane, Spot, Capone, and Kashmere were also adopted! Finally things are settling down.
Reply With Quote
mypet_dmv
New Member!
mypet_dmv is offline  
Location: USA
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 5
Male 
 
02-05-2017, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by GitaBooks View Post
Our 6-month-resident, and my favorite shelter doggie, was adopted yesterday into her forever home! Congratulations, Sasha, I'm so happy!

Not only this, but Coltrane, Spot, Capone, and Kashmere were also adopted! Finally things are settling down.

Hey GitaBooks, To be very honest, You done a great job for adopting a doggies. Along with your petís care and Pet good health, it's necessary to pay attention towards their security. So, making Pet drivers license would be a great idea to secure your pets from any harm.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Omelettes what's your favourite filling? Kazz Food & Drink 6 11-06-2014 10:05 AM
Filling a Kong for a puppy Mishka Hill Dog Health 16 30-01-2013 08:50 PM
Filling up on raw! x-clo-x Dog Health 24 16-04-2012 05:48 PM
Toys (filling a Kong) ATD Dog Health 11 28-02-2010 11:07 PM
What to use when filling a Kong/ Recipies Joanne Dog Health 11 24-11-2005 12:23 AM

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top