register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Senior
Besoeker is offline  
Location: Dunstable UK
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 592
Male 
 
02-03-2017, 05:20 PM

Leads

What are members thoughs on on or off the lead?
Reply With Quote
Losos
Dogsey Veteran
Losos is offline  
Location: Suffolk, England
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,834
Male  Silver Supporter 
 
02-03-2017, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
What are members thoughs on on or off the lead?
'evening Besoeker

In our house it's simple, unless we are close to a road our two dogs are 'off lead' SWMBO wouldn't have it any other way

That does mean we have to go by car but we have the option of three walks which are within 1 mile and loads around Knettishal Heath which is only 5 miles.

When Casey first came to us he was inclined to chase things (Deer especially) but he has settled down so much now that I don't have any worries, if he sees a Deer he will move towards it but never goes far and always within sight, same with Lara.
Reply With Quote
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
chlosmum is offline  
Location: Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen Hungary
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,028
Female 
 
02-03-2017, 06:54 PM
It all depends on what we're doing and where we are. Even though my two are very obedient, I'd never dream of walking them off lead along a busy road or in a town.

At home though because we're surrounded by fields and woods and not likely to see any vehicles, they're off lead most of the time. Having said that I do like to keep them up to scratch with their loose leash walking so sometimes I'll take them out on their leads.
Reply With Quote
Besoeker
Dogsey Senior
Besoeker is offline  
Location: Dunstable UK
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 592
Male 
 
02-03-2017, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
'evening Besoeker

In our house it's simple, unless we are close to a road our two dogs are 'off lead' SWMBO wouldn't have it any other way

That does mean we have to go by car but we have the option of three walks which are within 1 mile and loads around Knettishal Heath which is only 5 miles.

When casey first came to us he was inclined to chase things (Deer especially) but he has settled down so much now that I don't have any worries, if he sees a Deer he will move towards it but never goes far and always within sight, same with Lara.
Similar here. We can step out the front gate and walk for an hour or so with no roads. I do take the lead because we sometimes take a detour to a local convenience store where there is road traffic.

What prompted me to post the topic is the number of walkers I see struggling to control their big dog on a lead. I've stopped asking why they don't let them off.
"Won't come back" is the usual response.

But if they haven't tried, they don't know. At what point do you accept/trust that your dog is loyal to you?
Reply With Quote
Besoeker
Dogsey Senior
Besoeker is offline  
Location: Dunstable UK
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 592
Male 
 
02-03-2017, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
It all depends on what we're doing and where we are. Even though my two are very obedient, I'd never dream of walking them off lead along a busy road or in a town.
I agree. Then we rarely walk in town or on busy roads.

Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
At home though because we're surrounded by fields and woods and not likely to see any vehicles, they're off lead most of the time. Having said that I do like to keep them up to scratch with their loose leash walking so sometimes I'll take them out on their leads.
We don't have a loose lead/leash. If Max is on the lead I do so because I want to have firm/close control of him. He has no problem with that.
"Max, lead" and he waits for it and matches his pace to mine.
Reply With Quote
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Trouble is online now  
Location: Romford, uk
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 13,927
Female  Diamond Supporter 
 
02-03-2017, 07:14 PM
Mine are off lead where ever possible, We usually walk in the country park which is 800 acres or Epping Forest, both have lots of variety to keep them occupied.
Most people who say their dogs won't come back is because they've never done any recall training with their dog.
I've managed to walk 7 off lead at once, both large and small.
Reply With Quote
Besoeker
Dogsey Senior
Besoeker is offline  
Location: Dunstable UK
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 592
Male 
 
02-03-2017, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Mine are off lead where ever possible, We usually walk in the country park which is 800 acres or Epping Forest, both have lots of variety to keep them occupied.
Most people who say their dogs won't come back is because they've never done any recall training with their dog.
I didn't either.
We just formed a bond. Of mutual trust. I can't say quite how that works. But it did after just a few weeks.
Reply With Quote
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Trouble is online now  
Location: Romford, uk
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 13,927
Female  Diamond Supporter 
 
02-03-2017, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
I didn't either.
We just formed a bond. Of mutual trust. I can't say quite how that works. But it did after just a few weeks.
Maybe other people think they'll miraculously develop a bond too so don't bother with training. Personally I train from the minute they come home and prefer to leave nothing to chance.
Reply With Quote
Besoeker
Dogsey Senior
Besoeker is offline  
Location: Dunstable UK
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 592
Male 
 
02-03-2017, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Maybe other people think they'll miraculously develop a bond too so don't bother with training. Personally I train from the minute they come home and prefer to leave nothing to chance.
Other people might.
Reply With Quote
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Trouble is online now  
Location: Romford, uk
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 13,927
Female  Diamond Supporter 
 
02-03-2017, 08:58 PM
Yeah and if it worked for most people and most dogs maybe there wouldn't be so many dogs given up for rehoming before their 2nd birthday.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Leads or not Besoeker General Dog Chat 27 23-10-2016 07:57 AM
Dog Leads madmare General Dog Chat 4 18-05-2011 07:21 PM
Dog leads Kazz General Dog Chat 13 15-10-2009 08:19 PM
They don't need leads. chaz General Dog Chat 11 27-07-2009 03:44 PM
dog leads.... Collie Convert General Dog Chat 8 18-02-2009 08:37 PM

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top