Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bansh33
New Member!
Female 

24-02-2017, 12:20 AM

Anal Gland Issues...

Okay so first off, hello everyone. I'm new to this whole forum thing but my poor dog is in pain. Now before anything, my dog has gotten his anal glands expressed about 4 years ago. Since then, no problems. Last night he was fine, everything seemed normal and then today I woke up and he was refusing to walk or move. I already knew the storm that was about to hit me. So, I took him to the closest vet to me and got his anal glands expressed and they gave him a rabies shot too. They said everything was fine and that he was healthy and his anal glands were full but not infected. He was bouncing around like normal and super yappy. About an hour being home, he began sitting again and crying a bit. I called the vet and they said it's more than likely his rabies shot causing him soreness. I took their word and have been waiting patiently but Bear is now trying to lick his butt again. Regardless of what happens, I'm going to take him back tomorrow if he's not better. For the meantime, has this happened to anyone and what should I do exactly? They gave no medication because they didn't see or feel an infection. I just don't want my old man in pain.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2017, 08:15 AM
If you feel it's anal glands again, try warming a cloth and have him sit on it or hold it to the area. This can ease off the worst of the pain and sometimes aid in natural emptying.

My girl had a heck of a problem with them for about 18 months, but seemed to grow out of it as she matured (thankfully and touch wood) and the warm cloth did seem to help her.
Bansh33
New Member!
Female 

24-02-2017, 10:46 PM
I might do that a little later on but everytime I try to go near his butt he freaks out. I just came back from the vet and he says that Bear seems fine and that he might just be irritated after the expression. The thing is, my dog is wincing in pain if he has to walk just 5 feet. I don't understand how they can just dismiss him without any medication. I'll be taking him to my other vet either tomorrow or during the week. Now last time Bear got an expression, he had an abscess and had blood come out and everything. But after it got expressed, Bear was able to walk and act normally. This time however, he's still in pain and not being able to walk. Ugh I don't know what to do..
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-02-2017, 05:21 PM
If the anal glands are infected Bear will need antibiotics.

I think its good idea to take him to go back to the vet or see another vet .

My dog Libby had trouble with her anal gland and i give her a piece of carrot daily and it has helped.