Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meine
New Member!
Female 

03-02-2017, 05:26 PM

Deaf Aussie. Please help!

For Christmas I received a puppy from my father. A deaf Aussie. I live with my sister who has a dorkie (yorkie/dachshund) and when I got my dog Winter they hit it off but....as time went on Winter became more and more unruly. No matter what I try or do she won't obey or learn. I've tried rewarding and things like that but it doesn't do any good. I've tried to teach her sign language especially "watch me" but still nothing..... sometimes she'll obey "sit" but only if she feels like it. Everytime someone comes to the house I have to put her in her (very large metal) crate, because she hurts them and doesn't stop and when I try to pull her down she thinks I'm playing and gets even rowdier. My nephews are afraid of her and besides my sisters dog Bee other dogs hate her and try to attack her everytime. I don't know what to do. I don't want to give her away, she's my baby and I love her but I'm so stressed I feel like I could cry. Can someone help?
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	5425  
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-02-2017, 05:39 PM
Are you sure that she can see your signals? Her eyes look very small in that photo. If she is from merle to merle mating she could possibly have both hearing and vision problems.
Meine
New Member!
Female 

03-02-2017, 05:41 PM
Yes! She was kind of a rescue I think. She's a double Merle. I've been wondering about her eyesight as well. In that picture she's squinting. Her eyes are bigger than that lol
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2017, 08:52 PM
Have her eyesight checked out. If it turns out she has problems in that area too, don't be too disturbed as there are signals you can use to help her out training wise. She's still very young and going through normal puppy changes which means a lot of hard work to show her what you want from her.

Puppyhood can be a nightmare, but they do grow and they do calm with a bit of help and guidance along the way.
cos
New Member!
Female 

04-02-2017, 07:16 AM
Aussie pups are incredibly hyper, but incredibly intelligent! I would definitely have her eyesight checked out as suggested, as unfortunately breeding merle/merle is knows as a "deadly merle" and can cause a slew of problems, so I wouldn't be surprised if she has sight problems as well.

Believe me though, even with my aussie who has fully functioning eyes and ears, he still had me sitting in bed crying because of how frustrating he was (as pathetic as that sounds). Puppyhood is the hardest part! I have faith she can still learn (:

Using a "marker" is a really helpful way to train dogs, so they knows exactly what they're doing right and when they do it. Clicker training is the most popular, but for a deaf dog you can use a vibrating collar or a flashlight to signal to your dog that they did the right thing. If your pup has eyesight problems a vibrating collar would be perfect! (It's also my preferred method as its a gentle easy way to let the dog know "good job!")

When you say your pup scares others, do you mean because she's so rowdy and jumpy? I would definitely practice completely ignoring her when she's jumping all over you and have others do the same (except children, keep her away from children until she can be calmer for everyones safety). Cross your arms and turn away from her, don't look at her, touch her, or make any other interaction with her until she gets bored and calms down. Then you can treat the heck out of her (calmly) and having a vibrating collar to tell her good job would be super helpful! Make sure if you use one that she knows what the vibrate means first - vibrate, treat, vibrate, treat, vibrate, treat, etc.
cos
New Member!
Female 

04-02-2017, 07:17 AM
I forgot to ask, how much exercise does she recieve? Cosmo was a hyperactive wreck when I got him (he's an aussie as well) but after I started regularly exercising him he was an angel. Some aussies need a lot more than others, too!
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2017, 08:54 AM
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hear-Guide-.../dp/0953303926
You could probably get this from amazon.com or even from your library or ebay.
From a practical point of view I would look at how much protein you are feeding as this can make a puppy more hyperactive than they should normally be.
Meine
New Member!
Female 

06-02-2017, 09:30 PM
Sorry for the late reply! She plays with my sisters dog all day and I take her out for a small walk when she needs to go potty.

- I feed her kibbles and bits

And I'll definitely be taking her to the vet as soon as possible
And as for ignoring her when she's jumping.. eh haha she thinks it's a game and jumps around even more hyperly lol
cos
New Member!
Female 

08-02-2017, 06:24 AM
Yikes, no wonder she's so hyper! A small walk when she goes potty and being with a dog all day is certainly nowhere near the activity requirements of an Aussie. She's not receiving enough stimulation and exercise. Aussies aren't couch potatoes, they need a ton of exercise and mental stimulation. I take Cosmo outdoors and he runs around in one of the several off leash nature parks around me at least once and sometimes twice a day. She's still a small puppy so she won't need that much, but she still needs at least two big long walks each day. Training a tired dog is much much easier than training one with pent up energy and frustration