View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Soldierx
New Member!
Male 

03-01-2017, 09:00 PM

Help me select a breed, Similar to Golden but smaller?

Hi. I am looking to get a dog but I am not sure on what breed to get. I have done a lot of research and found that the breed I prefer the most is a Golden retriever. The problem is I am living in an apartment, with no access to a garden or terrace. I know this is quite a big dog which means this may not be the most suited dog for my living conditions.

I am looking for a similar dog which shares similar personality traits and behaviors. I have read that the Golden retriever is very easy to train, smart, loyal, gets along with cats which is important since I have one, and could be a good jogging partner. These are some of the traits I am looking for.

I also really like how the Golden Retriever looks, I am not too keen on the small dogs so I would be looking for a medium sized dog.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-01-2017, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by Soldierx View Post
Hi. I am looking to get a dog but I am not sure on what breed to get. I have done a lot of research and found that the breed I prefer the most is a Golden retriever. The problem is I am living in an apartment, with no access to a garden or terrace. I know this is quite a big dog which means this may not be the most suited dog for my living conditions.

I am looking for a similar dog which shares similar personality traits and behaviors. I have read that the Golden retriever is very easy to train, smart, loyal, gets along with cats which is important since I have one, and could be a good jogging partner. These are some of the traits I am looking for.

I also really like how the Golden Retriever looks, I am not too keen on the small dogs so I would be looking for a medium sized dog.
How many times a day do you jog and how far?
Soldierx
New Member!
Male 

03-01-2017, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
How many times a day do you jog and how far?
I dont currently jog, but I would if I had the motivation to do so. By getting a dog, I would want to be more active outdoors. The jogs would not be too intense though. Id be willing to take the dog out for around an hour a day, jogging maybe 30 mins, or playing fetch at the park so the dog can get a work out. For this reason I dont think a Border Collie is a good option, because from what I have read, they need hours and hours of exercise each day. I would be looking for something that is okay with an hour of exercise each day.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-01-2017, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Soldierx View Post
I dont currently jog, but I would if I had the motivation to do so. By getting a dog, I would want to be more active outdoors. The jogs would not be too intense though. Id be willing to take the dog out for around an hour a day, jogging maybe 30 mins, or playing fetch at the park so the dog can get a work out. For this reason I dont think a Border Collie is a good option, because from what I have read, they need hours and hours of exercise each day. I would be looking for something that is okay with an hour of exercise each day.
We have a Collie. I walk over six miles a day and he does several times that between wandering about, playing with other dogs, and galloping after squirrels.

So, given your circumstances, I wouldn't think it would be the ideal choice for you.

A Spaniel perhaps? Or a King Charles Spaniel?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-01-2017, 02:09 PM
You can't go out running/jogging with a puppy.Maybe go to a shelter and see if they have a young dog who would suit your requirements
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-01-2017, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
You can't go out running/jogging with a puppy.Maybe go to a shelter and see if they have a young dog who would suit your requirements
Not sure he was looking for a puppy.
But I agree with your idea of going to a shelter. Then he may be able get a dog he wants along with some helpful advice about its needs.
Coop
New Member!
Male 

04-01-2017, 11:06 PM
Have you tried looking for a shelter dog? The thing with sporting breeds, like the retriever, is that they're very energetic, and require a lot of outside exercise. Have you looked at any of the Terriers?

Also, check out this link: http://www.akc.org/find-a-match/
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-01-2017, 05:52 AM
A dog in an apartment really is not a good idea. What are you going to do when the dog wants to go and do its business? take the dog onto the road when he wanted to go? say even at at say 9pm before bedtime, I don't think your neighbours will be too pleased.
Is the dog going to the kind that barks at every sound, you won't know until too late.
what about when your not there say at work? a dog can get bored very easily and start destroying things, you can't keep him crated up all day.

Just a couple of things that may be overlooked.
Also
Are you allowed to have a dog , I would check on the agreement made when getting the apartment, some ban dogs
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-01-2017, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
Also
Are you allowed to have a dog , I would check on the agreement made when getting the apartment, some ban dogs
Yes, that could be a show stopper right there.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2017, 12:01 AM
Tumbleweed I'll have to disagree with you that a dog in an apartment is not a good idea. I have mostly lived in flats and had dogs and they have been well exercised and it's no problem at all taking them to relieve themselves. Why would someone without a garden need to take their dog onto the road, there are usually plenty of grassy areas around and why should it disturb the neighbours at 9pm or even later taking the dog out.

In my experience dogs who live in flats get more exercise and more walks and not left to amuse themselves in gardens all day never being taken out so I could come out and say people with gardens shouldn't have dogs as it makes them lazy and the poor dog never gets taken for a walk.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >