Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-01-2017, 01:42 AM

Fireworks - again.

Our dog is a gentle, easy going fellow.
But the fireworks have had an adverse affect on him. especially after midnight. He slept under a blanket on my office floor and was not interested in venturing out even into the back garden.

It's a shame that his confidence has been shaken. Not a lot I can do in the short term. People enjoy the spectacle of a fireworks display and I would not deny them that pleasure.

I just need to get Max acclimatised to it.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-01-2017, 04:40 AM
Well, he seems to have sort of recovered. He got me out of bed, cleared his breakfast, went out and peed, played with toys for a bit, and is now resting on the landing. We'll see how it goes come daylight.
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-01-2017, 10:23 AM
Hopefully he'll be absolutely fine again once things get back to normal and all the celebrations finish.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2017, 12:09 PM
Poor Max, it is awful when dogs are terrified of fireworks. I am sure I am preaching to the converted here, but the best thing to do in this situation is to not make a fuss, just carry on as normal completely ignoring the fireworks. Go about your normal business, and this will help Max to stay calm if he sees that you are not worried.
Gustavo Woltmann
New Member!
Male 

01-01-2017, 12:26 PM
I agree with Gnasher. I had the same problem with my pup when I first had him since he doesn't have a very good background. My friend, who owns 6 dogs, told me the same thing-- just act normal.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-01-2017, 12:49 PM
Well, I was normal as I could be. He doesn't behave badly, no crying or whining. He just lies down, usually in my office or curls up underneath my desk. As I said, there isn't a lot to be done but I think he takes comfort in knowing that we are there.

Naturally, I don't like to see him distressed. And I don't want him to be frightened of going out for a pee and getting uncomfortable with possibly unfortunate consequences. But, if he can hold it all night maybe that shouldn't be such a worry.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-01-2017, 01:48 PM
When I let the dogs out around 8 pm last night someone was letting off fireworks which started both dogs barking. Luckily the fireworks didn't last long and as soon as they'd finished the dogs came back in again and went to bed.

That was the last I heard of them until Georgina woke me up at 7 am wanting to be let out!

Neither of mine are normally worried about fireworks probably because they're so used to hearing hunters out shooting in the night.
Adam Baker
New Member!
Male 

06-01-2017, 07:44 PM
Hopefully he's returned to normal now that New Year's over.

Here in Sweden we had such a wild New Year's Eve they decided to ban rockets altogether.
Piguinn
New Member!
Female 

09-01-2017, 12:10 AM
Our corgi puppy Bepo was absolutely terrified. If I read this first I'd have pretended that nothing's special rather than try to calm her.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-01-2017, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by Piguinn View Post
Our corgi puppy Bepo was absolutely terrified. If I read this first I'd have pretended that nothing's special rather than try to calm her.
I don't think there's a lot wrong with reassurance that you are there.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >