Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2016, 10:57 AM

You have to laugh or seethe inwardly

There I was going to cross a busy road with mine on lead when coming towards me to cross this busy road was a person with their dog off lead. I made sure mine was on the other side of me so that the dog off lead wouldn't be a pain as I could see it making a bee line. The person called out its all right he won't hurt you. Huh I had to laugh quietly and not say anything. I am getting good at that. In the persons hand was the flexi lead that they weren't using. WHY!!
Bumblesnout
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-12-2016, 12:41 PM
There's nout so queer as folk Brenda
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2016, 01:03 PM
Unfortunately, it's a daily occurrence just about everywhere these days.

If I had a pound for every 'sorry', 'he only wants to play', 'he's friendly' and 'he's never done that before, it'd be a jackpot lottery win

Wouldn't be too bad if the virtually the whole town is supposed to be an 'on lead' area
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-12-2016, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
In the persons hand was the flexi lead that they weren't using. WHY!!
Yes Brenda, good question to which I have no answer, keeping a dog 'on lead' is a basic rule around busy roads, even not so busy. I say that as someone who tries to walk our two 'off lead' whenever possible but that means in the midle of the forrest or heathland.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-12-2016, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Yes Brenda, good question to which I have no answer, keeping a dog 'on lead' is a basic rule around busy roads, even not so busy. I say that as someone who tries to walk our two 'off lead' whenever possible but that means in the midle of the forrest or heathland.
I agree. We also walk ours off the lead except where he might encounter road traffic. Even going from the car park to the big park where we walk. He'd probably be OK. But probably just isn't good enough for us.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-12-2016, 02:22 PM
Nightmare Brenda. In all probability even if the flexi lead was in use, the bluddy dog would be a mile ahead of the owner doing as it pleased
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-12-2016, 02:46 PM
There's a bloke near me with a Rottweiler, lovely dog but always off lead, he always shouts out don't worry he's friendly and I reply I know but I worry he'll get run over, makes no difference. My dobermanns would have walked by my side off lead on the pavement but why would you risk it?
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2016, 09:11 AM
Here we go again: Another stupid person and another dog off lead along a busy road. This time in the sort of twilight of the morning: I asked this person to call his dog because it was off lead on the pavement and making a beeline for Tyto. It was a staffie. Now I like staffies but this had its ears back and head down giving Tyto the eye, definitely was going to cause mischief. The man hadn't seen what his dog was doing because he was reading his newspaper that he had just got from the shop on the corner. I suppose the dog had been left outside the shop as they aren't allowed in, so goodness knows what would have happened if I had passed by with the man inside the shop and the dog outside. The dog had no collar on so I couldn't have held it if anything had happened. Anyway I stepped into the parking layby, fortunately it was there because the traffic was horrendous, so goodness knows where I would have gone to avoid this dog. Anyway then I said put it on a lead he swore at me and told me to ..... and I said and you and he replied ?, but by this time I was walking away so didn't quite catch what he said.
Oh well, if I see him again I will just have to bite the bullet and keep out of the way if possible.
Wish I wasn't clued into reading other peoples dogs. Maybe it is time for me to retire.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-12-2016, 10:46 AM
Nightmare brenda.
When we lived in Harlow there were the odd few that flouted the law but mostly no incidents.
On the field however there were a couple of people with aggressive dogs that caused trouble not with my dogs but other walkers I knew. One the police got involved and their dog had to be on lead at all times and muzzled.
The other got such a mouthful from a few people that he decided it was best to leash his dogs when he saw anyone.

Here all dogs walked in the village are on lead we have such narrow pavements and busy roads. Some on flexi leads which I will admit they do not seem to know how to use.
When we walk Dillon on the beach or over the forest most off lead but so far not met one person who hasn't asked if they would like us to leash their dog as Dillon is always on a long line. Mostly due to his nose and the fear of him getting lost because of it.
It is allowed to drag but we reel him in when meeting other dogs a) because he is big and may frighten people and smaller dogs and b) because we do not know the temperament of the other dog till they have met. If all friendly he is allowed to play.

It is illegal to walk a dog on a public highway off leash and without a collar and identification.
I learnt this many years ago when Mark was 5 and we were attacked by a GSD on a street.

I am always thankful that I do not have to deal with this type of behaviour and hope I never have to.