Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kaliska
New Member!
Female 

04-12-2016, 03:54 AM

First hike

Aiko turned 8 weeks and took her first hike. Takes a lot to keep up with those big dogs but we did an equal amount of flopping, somehow while also attacking things sometimes, and still had energy to bite the big dogs in the butt on the way to the car.

Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-12-2016, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by kaliska View Post
Aiko turned 8 weeks and took her first hike. Takes a lot to keep up with those big dogs but we did an equal amount of flopping, somehow while also attacking things sometimes, and still had energy to bite the big dogs in the butt on the way to the car.
The big dog doesn't seem to be too bothered.
kaliska
New Member!
Female 

04-12-2016, 08:52 AM
The dark brindle is my 10 year old akita who spent every day of the first part of her life hiking and socializing at dog classes and parks. She is still partially on ignore the new puppy mode but starting to play with Aiko. The husky scooted and went "help! it's attacking my butt!". The shiba is the one who thinks it would be better off eaten but attempts by Haru to intimidate Aiko fail miserably. She was trying to stare her down and Aiko looked back waiting. When nothing happened she licked Haru on the nose. It's an 8week old puppy and you have lost control Haru. Just give it up and stop saying you will eat it because everyone knows you won't.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-12-2016, 10:12 AM
A large breed puppy should never ever be taken on a hike like that. Poor thing she'll suffer in later years, maybe even earlier, I feel sick
kaliska
New Member!
Female 

04-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Now I remember why I don't use dog forums. People have such extreme opinions without asking for more info so as to border on crazy. There was no forced exercise. There was no constant running. There was spurts of running, flopping in the grass, killing leaves, going a little farther, flopping, chewing on sticks, bouncing a little farther..... We didn't go march down a trail. We did barely more than playing in the yard or house. There were just a few more sprints in there because she had the space to get speed before she got distracted. She probably ran more in a row being allowed out in a relatives yard with no big or faster dogs doing things by herself. Maybe I should not use the word "hike". Shall we call it an "outing" of killing leaves on an old railroad line trail that sees little traffic is firm but not concrete and level terrain?

I have tons of pics of her flopped in the grass or staring at leaves to kill but my photobucket is running out of space so I did not include them.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-12-2016, 12:32 PM
Now I remember why I don't use dog forums. People have such extreme opinions without asking for more info so as to border on crazy.
I think it is the same on many forums.
Mostly, I do electrical and politics but I was banned from one doggy forum for being an irresponsible owner because I take my dog out without him being on a lead.
kaliska
New Member!
Female 

04-12-2016, 12:51 PM
I got banned from an fb group (twice after I redeemed myself once and was being helpful) for stating my opinion in a carefully worded way that pointed no fingers and was just a suggestion because I was commiserating with problems another new member was having getting good info out of the group. At least the hiking group on fb bans all arguments over leash or not leash when out (it's like starting a religious debate apparently) and they delete advice that is not asked for or wanted. It is just about enjoying dogs in your own way while making your own choices and being responsible for informing yourself.

Speaking of which the strength of responses from some people led me to do more searches on puppy exercise. I still see that I did nothing wrong. Beyond choosing the terrain very carefully many dog owners who have seen them reach old age and breeders take the view point of letting the puppy choose the pace and distance and if they get tired be prepared to carry them, which we were, and I actually chose just the right distance for our speed to get her back to the suv barely starting to slow down at all and still launching sneak attacks on the other dogs.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-12-2016, 01:16 PM
I got banned from an fb group (twice after I redeemed myself once and was being helpful) for stating my opinion in a carefully worded way that pointed no fingers and was just a suggestion because I was commiserating with problems another new member was having getting good info out of the group. At least the hiking group on fb bans all arguments over leash or not leash when out (it's like starting a religious debate apparently) and they delete advice that is not asked for or wanted. It is just about enjoying dogs in your own way while making your own choices and being responsible for informing yourself.

Speaking of which the strength of responses from some people led me to do more searches on puppy exercise. I still see that I did nothing wrong. Beyond choosing the terrain very carefully many dog owners who have seen them reach old age and breeders take the view point of letting the puppy choose the pace and distance and if they get tired be prepared to carry them, which we were, and I actually chose just the right distance for our speed to get her back to the suv barely starting to slow down at all and still launching sneak attacks on the other dogs.
Off topic but I bet you can't beat this:

Reason given for ban: Getting on my tits
That was Idi Admin as he has been called.
I was banned for a month and there has been no traffic on his forum since.

Puppy walking? I think there is no one size fits all. If he is happy to walk, let him walk. It will burn off energy and perhaps be better at home. Works for our dog.