View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2016, 12:17 PM

Do we love our pets more than other people?

I am on enforced rest at the moment. Well Zak is, so that means I am too. I caught a story on This Morning today about a journalist who was "sickened" by the public outpouring of grief for Walnut the whippet who was put to sleep recently after the much publicised last walk.

Journalist, Angela Epstein's article :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...is-a-sick-soc/

She says "I cannot fathom the massive outpouring of public grief and support which has turned the euthanising of an ageing, suffering pet into a moment of national mourning."

and

"or the disproportionate reaction to the pegging out of an elderly dog was as unsettling as it was ignoble.
Not least because it suggests that we care more about household pets in this country than we do about children."

So do we, as a nation, care more about our animals than we do about people? And if so, is there even anything wrong with that?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-11-2016, 12:34 PM
We as pet owners shouldn't be lumped in together, I love my dogs and I love my kids, I see more of my dogs as my kids are grown men of 28 and 36 but that doesn't mean I love them more. I love them differently, they need me and I would do pretty much anything to make them happy. I would not have done what Walnuts owner did and nor would I have joined him on his walk. I've lost many animals over the years, very few made it to the great age Walnut did but for me my pets departure is a private thing, shared only with the vet and nurses and that's the way I like it. Would I mock Walnuts owner? No of course not,we all have to deal with things as we see fit.
Do I think some people care more for their pets than people? Yes I do but sometimes people don't care for them so why should they waste their emotions on people when people do nothing for them. There's nothing wrong with that at all.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2016, 02:29 PM
Personally I think it to be arrogant in the extreme if anybody is castigated for loving a pet animal more than a human being. Why shouldn't they? What is so wrong about loving an iguana more than you love your aunt, uncle, niece or nephew? We are all animals ... personally though as Trouble says I love my dog and I love my daughter and grandson - it is a different love, but it is love none the less. If I had to choose between rescuing my grandson from a raging torrent, or rescuing Ben, I would of course choose to rescue Alfie. This is human nature - part of being an animal of the human kind. It does not mean that I love Alfie more than Ben, just differently.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-11-2016, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Personally I think it to be arrogant in the extreme if anybody is castigated for loving a pet animal more than a human being. Why shouldn't they? What is so wrong about loving an iguana more than you love your aunt, uncle, niece or nephew? We are all animals ... personally though as Trouble says I love my dog and I love my daughter and grandson - it is a different love, but it is love none the less. If I had to choose between rescuing my grandson from a raging torrent, or rescuing Ben, I would of course choose to rescue Alfie. This is human nature - part of being an animal of the human kind. It does not mean that I love Alfie more than Ben, just differently.
I see your point but Alfie is helpless compared to Ben so obviously you help the one that can't help their self, in my case to choose between a Pug that swims like a brick or a big strapping 6'2" bloke I'd help the Pug Doesn't mean I love my son less but he'd probably end up rescuing me x
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2016, 02:44 PM
Hmmm ... good point. I like to think though that my natural instinct would be to help Alfie whether or not he was the most helpless! However, after his behaviour this morning, I might have well changed my mind had my theory been put to the test on the way to nursery!!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-11-2016, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I see your point but Alfie is helpless compared to Ben so obviously you help the one that can't help their self, in my case to choose between a Pug that swims like a brick or a big strapping 6'2" bloke I'd help the Pug Doesn't mean I love my son less but he'd probably end up rescuing me x
Somewhat related......
Our dog jumped into or fell into the Grand Union Canal. He swam across to the other side and had a struggle getting out. Then I had a bit of a walk to get back to him.

Had it been my son i'd have been straight into the water.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2016, 03:04 PM
It's called empathy. As pet owners, we can all empathise with Walnut's owner as many of us have been in the same position of losing a friend, companion and much loved family member.

We all deal with grief/impending grief differently and if Walnut's owner found comfort in that last walk - why not?
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-11-2016, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It's called empathy. As pet owners, we can all empathise with Walnut's owner as many of us have been in the same position of losing a friend, companion and much loved family member.

We all deal with grief/impending grief differently and if Walnut's owner found comfort in that last walk - why not?
Agreed.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

18-11-2016, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Journalist, Angela Epstein's article :
Moobli. please do not get 'sucked in' to the media desire for an outrageous article in order to enhance their C.V. and their career. There was an article a few years back by some muppet food writer on the Guardian about how he hated dogs and all the people who owned them.

It's a common trick, i.e. pick a subject which they know the masses will read and be appaled by, and thus bring your name to the top of the 'most read journalist' rating.

Ms. Epsteins almost certainly looking for a career move, I personaly feel sad she is writing for the DT which is one of the few papers I read. She sounds like someone who should be on the staff of the Sun

And anyway, what business is it of the grubby Ms. Epstein whether lots of people love their dogs which incidentaly is not the entire nation. So she's got that wrong to start with.

Can't comment on anything else as I point blank refuse to read such drivel. I don't need an uneducated troll like her to start asking me such stupid questions.
charlew
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-11-2016, 06:30 PM
I love animals more than people & I have no qualms about telling the whole world that, my dog is more important to me than any human including my mum & my fiance. As for Ms Epstein - she once had the nerve to moan that her child benefit was being taken away, claiming she would struggle as her household income was 'only' about £100k pa..... After that I have viewed anything she says with scepticism.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >