View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hermies22
New Member!
Female 

13-11-2016, 01:21 AM

Help Me Identify this Breed! (Shih Tzu Mix?)

Hi All,

I need help identifying the breed of the mother dog and what my puppy will look like!

Back Story:
A friend of mine is having puppies which are mixed breeds. before people start in, she isn't a hobby breeder nor is she looking to sell them. She is in no way trying to profit off these dogs nor breed ones with health issues. She owns land and thought it would be fun to breed and raise puppies for herself and her family and upon seeing the mother/father dogs asked if I might have one once they are ready.
I just really need help identifying the breed/ and or what the dog will likely look like (he will be given a great home regardless!)

She adopted the mother, who is a "shih Tzu" and bred it with her long haired mini dachshund. As some hybrid designed mutt breeders call them..the result puppy would be "schaweenie" from these two dogs.

But I am not entirely sure the mother is exactly a shih Tzu, I feel like she is mixed with something else, possibly another dachshund?

Regardless, I am told these dogs genes change colors and this mix can come out in MANY different variations. I want to know what people think my puppy will likely look like when he is older. He was born dark black/brown with flecks of brown and has a white stripe.

So, I need your help seeing what my pup will look like!

The first 2 pics of the mother (gray shih Tzu looking dog) is this a mixed dog?

The second dog picture is the father of my puppy. The long haired doxie

the next picture is the picture of my puppy at 3 weeks old. He appears black/dark brown with flecks of red.

the LAST photo is what I am HOPING my puppy doesn't look like or favor. I am hoping my pup will be more fluffy and have longer ears shorter snout? I am also wondering if he will change colors? Like I said, looks aren't everything and I understand but I would like to explain to my fiancé what type of dog this is and really cant!

Can anybody give me an idea of what color my puppy will likely be as it gets older and also if they think he may end up favoring the more boxy faced fluffy dog than the last dog pictured (found as a "schweenie" on google) thanks! I have uploaded link to my album with additional pics as it only let me upload 5 here. thanks!
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	dog1.png
Views:	133
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	5275   Click image for larger version

Name:	mom2.png
Views:	119
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	5278   Click image for larger version

Name:	dog2.png
Views:	118
Size:	333.2 KB
ID:	5279   Click image for larger version

Name:	pup 3.png
Views:	126
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	5281   Click image for larger version

Name:	result.png
Views:	126
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	5282  

tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-11-2016, 09:09 AM
Oh dear yet another person more worried about how the dog will turn out . It is a mongrel plain and simple. As long as it is healthy that is all you need to know.
What is it about that Americans are so concerned about what breed their mongrels look like? If they want a pedigree dog then get a pedigree dog.
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-11-2016, 09:14 AM
Tbh both parent look like they could be crosses.... The Dachshund looks more like a working cocker to me with the colouration and facial features.
If he's papered then he's a strange type compared to the ones shown and bred near me. Pups could come out looking like mother with a long body or I've seen stranger cases where from two crosses you get something unlike either parents. My GSDxHusky boy was the only one out of a litter of 9 to look like a cross as others looked like Huskies and 1 looked just like a GSD pup so there's no promises really with mixed breeds.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2016, 09:25 AM
Vive la difference i SAY!! As long as both parents were health-tested for genetic diseases, why worry about what they are going to look like? Who cares what they look like - their health is FAR more important. If you want a standard, consistent look then buy a pedigree - you are purposely breeding mongrels - and I don't mean that to be insulting, I much prefer cross breeds to pedigrees and aside from a border terrier, I will never have another pedigree unless as an act of compassion. Just enjoy the no doubt vast differences that there will be in the pups and rejoice in their variety and health.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2016, 09:26 AM
Forgot to say gorgeous dogs by the way!!
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-11-2016, 10:59 AM
This is a 'fun' litter. I would be amazed if they have done any health testing beyond having a vet check them over before mating. I agree, if you want a predictable look, you need to go for a purebred dog.
Where does the name Shaweenie come from? Dachstzu would make more sense to me.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-11-2016, 11:28 AM
Just curious but what happens if the dog ends up like the one in the pic you say you don't want?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2016, 11:57 AM
I have no problem with people breeding dogs for a purpose, and if both parents have been health tested and there are plenty of homes lined up for such pups then so be it.

Who is the pup in the last photo (the one you say you hope your pup doesn't look like).

The problem with cross breeding is that you can't predict what the pups will look like (especially as it would seem that the parents are also cross breeds themselves), but more importantly imo is that you cannot predict temperament either.

If there is a particular look or temperament that you want in a dog then you would be better to research pedigree breeds and then search for a responsible breeder who health tests and produces dogs with excellent temperament.
Hermies22
New Member!
Female 

13-11-2016, 04:21 PM
No matter what he looks like, He will always have a loving adoring home anyway! I am a firm believer in once you take in a pet it is yours for life. I am just curious if he will turn gray like the mom or not or to just get a feel for him. Its curiosity! I know I am getting a mixed breed!!
Hermies22
New Member!
Female 

13-11-2016, 04:24 PM
Thank you. The dogs have been vetted over the course of their lifetimes and both display lovely temperments. I have been over many many times and enjoyed the company of these dogs.
I am simply just curious of the outcome of my puppy. Curiosity- which will yield the same outcome no matter what: my forever dog. It is a mixed dog, I know what I'm signing up for! I am simply just curious and wondering if any dog lovers can add 2 cents of opinion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >