Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jrr0788
New Member!
Female 

11-11-2016, 11:17 PM

Any dogs with Hemophilia??

Hi all! I'm new to the group here but wanted to reach out for advice, to find others, and hear other stories! A few months ago my german shepard was diagnosed with Hemophilia. We found out after he was neutered and developed a large hematoma. He has been doing OK since, bumped his head and got a nice bump. We thought we were finally in the clear but now he is having issues. He is now 8 months and recently stared limping on his back right leg and often doesn't want to put any pressure on his leg. The vet says it is related to the hemophilia and when he runs and jumps the blood swells into his joints which causes pain.

Does anyone else have a dog with Hemophilia? I know it is rare, but I'm hoping someone has some advice on how their dog is doing living with Hemophilia!
Thanks
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2016, 08:11 AM
O my goodness, how horrible for your poor dog. It must be so painful for him. I am so sorry to hear this.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2016, 09:09 AM
How dreadful. It is a rare condition, although all GSD males should be tested for haemophilia before being bred from. I assume this means your dog's father was not tested? What has his breeder said? Have they given any guidance?
http://www.gsdbreedcouncil.co.uk/bimp/haemo/haemo.htm

The only dog I ever heard of suffering from this condition was one of Joyce Stranger's GSDs. She was an author who sadly passed away a few years ago. I own the book she wrote about her time with Josse (the dog with haemo) so will flick through later and see if it might be of any help.

I would also urge you to contact Chris Hazell who is the GSD Breed Health Coordinator, assuming your GSD is KC registered, and let her know about this problem in your dog. She keeps an extensive database on health issues in the GSD breed and in certain lines in particular - so is a font of knowledge. Her email address is c.hazell@tiscali.co.uk

The article below does confirm that dogs who have this condition might become lame in a limb if there is bleeding in a joint or muscle in that area.

http://www.germanshepherdlife.com/ge...ds-hemophilia/
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2016, 09:13 AM
Another article which also confirms that bilateral intermittent lameness with swollen painful joints due to haemarthroses precede chronic lameness.

http://workingdogs.com/doc0155.htm
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2016, 09:24 AM
Joyce Stranger wrote The Running Foxes - i loved that as a child!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2016, 09:28 AM
As you will already know, there is no cure and so I would be looking to my vet to give advice on ways in which to manage the condition - such as being alert to signs of bleeding in your dog, knowing when to seek veterinary help, look at the way your dog is housed, exercised etc to minimise risk as far as possible.

Does your vet think your boy may need blood transfusions at any stage?

Having read a little bit it would appear that in the UK haemophilia in the GSD can be traced back to one dog (Canto von der Wienerau). One book states "Although it was not proven through testing, this dog was undoubtedly a haemophiliac, and was often used as a stud dog. Therefore all his daughters were carriers and half of their young would be affected males or carrier females. Screening of dogs with Canto in their female lines has has eliminated the disorder occurring in most lines. However, it is adviseable to choose your pup from a recognised, reputable breeder who can guarantee that their line has been cleared through past testing".

Do you have your dog's pedigree papers? It would be interesting to see if Canto appears.

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/germ...n-der-wienerau

It does however also say that "other new mutations within the German Shepherd breed have been reported and in about 30% of cases of Haemophilia B, there is no family history of the disorder and the condition is the result of a spontaneous gene mutation. Ongoing testing of breeding males in particular will help to prevent this condition from perpetuating in German Shepherds".
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2016, 09:29 AM
I have just realised you are in the US - so the above about Canto may not be relevant. I will do a little more research.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2016, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Joyce Stranger wrote The Running Foxes - i loved that as a child!
She did I have that among my large collection of her books
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2016, 09:39 AM
Reading this link it would appear that this disorder may be more of a problem in the US than here in the UK. Is your vet experienced at dealing with the problems that may arise? If not, I would be seeking out a vet who is.

http://www.gsdinfo.co.uk/Health/Hemophilia.htm
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2016, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
She did I have that among my large collection of her books
You have resurrected long-forgotten memories Moobli!! I know what to ask for in my christmas stocking now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >