View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-10-2016, 06:02 PM

Converting a kennel dog to an indoor dog?

Hiya
Does anyone have any experience or advice on taking on a working/outdoor kept kennel dog and introducing them to indoor cozy life?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-10-2016, 06:05 PM
My girls live outside, they were born in the house and moved outside at about 4-6 weeks dependent on weather. They do come in the house if needed, Lona just spent a very comfortable 2 weeks on the couch watching the soaps after a couple of ops.She did start wanting to stay out with the others towards the end of the time though. Usually (but don't rely on it) outside dogs are clean in the house because they are used to going outside.I would ensure they have access to an outdoor place as well, your house will be suffocating for them initially, something you'll have to build on slowly, just like acclimatising an indoor dog to outside.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2016, 06:11 PM
My working GSD was born and raised in a kennel. He came to me at 8 months. Lived for one week in a kennel at my house before I brought him inside - that was five years ago He has never looked back and took it all in his stride ... he has been clean from day one too (but his breeder did also say he was clean in his kennel).
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-10-2016, 06:16 PM
Ok.... So would I best to build an outdoor kennel? Loki obviously stays inside at night with us but we are outside - hiking, training, dog walking or even at the kennels she's in a big pen and then taken for walks at breaks - so our garden is a very clean area. She only uses it for lounging around. We have about a 5ft high fence round a reasonably sized area, I'll post pics in a bit.

Do you think toilet training inside could be a problem?
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-10-2016, 06:22 PM
Photo bucket is not playing ball at the moment..... 😩 So I've made an album on my profile if you guys could maybe have a nosey and tell me what you think would be best?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2016, 06:30 PM
Gorgeous house!!! I wouldn't bother with an outdoor kennel tbh. I would just bring him inside and treat him as though he were a puppy - ie take him outside regularly (after food, play, sleep etc) and praise/reward when he toilets. Speak to his current owner and see whether he is a clean kennel dog or one who poops everywhere and paddles around in it , that should give you an idea as to what to expect in the house.
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-10-2016, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Gorgeous house!!! I wouldn't bother with an outdoor kennel tbh. I would just bring him inside and treat him as though he were a puppy - ie take him outside regularly (after food, play, sleep etc) and praise/reward when he toilets. Speak to his current owner and see whether he is a clean kennel dog or one who poops everywhere and paddles around in it , that should give you an idea as to what to expect in the house.
Oh Thankyou 😊 can you tell by the house I'm a dog person and not really a people person 😂
He's a very clean kennel dog (I've fed and worked with him occasionally at the weekends for the owner) and he's a very placid male. Gets picked on a bit from the other dogs he's kennelled with.