Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2016, 09:28 AM

Ben's Progress

At last I feel able to say that we have achieved our ultimate goal with Ben - a happy, healthy, fairly obedient, loving and trustworthy companion. He is fantastic with our grandson, very tolerant of my daughter's chihuahuas who are currently lodging with us at the moment. He is kept almost permanently now on his long extending lead as at 11 years old he is slowing down and doesn't want to range any longer, but is happy to bumble along on his lead. When the coast is clear and we can let him off, he stays pretty close to us and is happy and contended to do so.

Also, at last I think I can safely say that we can read Ben now and know if he is going to sound off at another dog in the pub, or wherever we are. We had an interesting incident yesterday with Diesel. Diesel adores Ben and follows him around like a lost shadow. All 3 dogs were given a duck neck each and to my amazement Diesel cheekily stole Ben's off him! My heart was in my mouth, but Ben just allowed him to have it. Later on when Ben was helping with the washing up and licking our lunch plates clean, Diesel shared Ben's plate!! However, later on still, WW3 suddenly erupted! Diesel stood on Ben's tail whilst he was lying down in his corner of the kitchen, and that was it, Ben gave him a real pasting for about a minute, Diesel shrieking all the while. Even I was worried, and grabbed Ben and pulled him away from Diesel, but Diesel was absolutely fine, not a mark on him, not even any saliva, so it was all sound and fury signifying nothing!

An hour later he was happily curled up with Ben, so no lasting psychological trauma, but hopefully a lesson learned to show more respect! The control that Ben has is truly amazing - to display that level of aggression but inflict no damage is extraordinary.
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-10-2016, 01:25 PM
What a great experience. I'm so happy to know all things happen about Ben. Glad Ben has a great parents too. Keep it up.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-10-2016, 02:54 PM
I know what you mean Nikki Was on the field yesterday with Cariad, Lona and Zen. No idea what happened but all of a sudden Zen was running like the devil was after her (very similar, it was her Nana Lona) who ran her down, flipped her on her back, gave her a massive 'talking to', Zen screaming blue murder, then it was over and Lona stalking off, and Zen following trying to beg forgiveness. Zen can run like the wind, and her poor old Nana could be forgiven for failing to catch her to dish out the necessary discipline, but she did catch her Cariad just looked at me, tutted, and carried on trying to roll in the fox poo she had just discovered which I was trying to pull her away from
They have strong jaws that could quite easily take your arm off, but the control is amazing.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2016, 03:00 PM
Thats a lovely thing to say Mrs M ... thank you!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2016, 03:04 PM
People look at us June in amazement sometimes and ask us arent we worried that Ben will hurt another dog? And i say no, he wont, keep the faith! Holly's chihuahuas are more dangerous than Ben! I just wish i was better at reading dogs so i can see what theyve done wrong in Bens eyes! At least i know when hes going to kick off now which is a blessing!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-10-2016, 03:14 PM
Its all wind and water isn't it Nikki, and soggy fur around the neck where they've been grabbed and whirled around a few times
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-10-2016, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
to display that level of aggression but inflict no damage is extraordinary.
Not aggression, if I may say so, it was disciplining. In the canine world there are some who are natural leaders and who have the 'pack leader' gene in droves.

Dogs know exactly how much 'discipline' to dole out to their junior staff within the pack, unfortunately, to a human, it sounds like aggression, and aided and encouraged by the muppet media, dogs are classified as 'devil dogs'

Ben told Diesel that he did wrong, he did it in a way that humans find hard to understand, but like you said no blood spilt and no grudges and forgotten within hours if not minutes.

Well done Ben, a true cannine leader, how I wish we had some humans like you in this world.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-10-2016, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I just wish i was better at reading dogs so I can see what they've done wrong in Bens eyes! At least i know when he's going to kick off now which is a blessing!
That's the really difficult bit. Humans get so used to thinking they know everything and can do anything**

Dogs are not humans and sadly don't 'speak' the same language, lessons in growl and bark and whine are not taught in college.

Further more there are very few true leaders in the human population now. There have been in the past but not now.

** Just witness that muppet who predicted all diseases will be cured by computer software within ten years
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2016, 09:26 PM
Yes June, exactly right!

Losos, I'm not sure if Ben is a leader - more of a pack defender. What Shaun Ellis used to describe as a Beta Enforcer, the soldier guardian ... a high ranking beta, but not an alpha. Ben is a fascinating dog - he just will not tolerate any intransigence in other dogs, dogs misbehaving in his eyes, or acting above their natural rank. As you say, it is just so hard for us to be able to read what the intransigences are - it could be something so simple and subtle, but carries a huge amount of significance and importance to a dog. Ben is more than happy to share his plate with Diesel, and he even allows Diesel to pinch a bone off him - but Diesel made the mistake of treading on his tail, and that was it, he suffered an onslaught which to us humans would seem excessive, savage and over the top - but which to Diesel was completely acceptable apparently and understandable! No harm done and today Diesel has been a lot more respectful - still shared licking Ben's plate with him, but just more wary and polite!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-10-2016, 09:35 PM
Nikki, the leader rarely disciplines, that is what the Beta Enforcer is for, the Sergeant Major who keeps the troops in line, gives them their tasks and brooks not the slightest slight or question of their authority. If there is the slightest doubt as to who is going to do what and when, then immediate retribution.
All this walking in front through doors etc. is laughable, the leader is always well protected and would NEVER enter anywhere first or be put in a situation where they would be hurt or damaged in any way, they are often at the back, sometimes in the middle, but never leading, the cannon fodder, the lowest rankers who are dispensible, are the ones that are in front. Basically, walking through the door first to 'prove' your rank is showing your dog that you are beneath them always have a giggle when people tell me how they eat first, go through doors first. Thats not the way at all, the leader often eats last, and slowest, they have nothing to prove, they get the best anyway, so why the fuss
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >