Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLH
New Member!
Male 

24-09-2016, 04:18 PM

Help

Hi, I recent adopted a senior dog from out of state. He's very gentle and actually a special needs dog. He wasn't neutered so the shelter neutered him. I have 2 other dogs as well. My problem is that he wants to pester the female (sniffing etc) and when shes not around he does the same for the male. Well it's annoying them quite a bit. They give him their 2 cents worth about it but he just doesn't get it. I'm at a loss at what to do. This new dog probably doesn't have a lot of time and I just want to help him...he was an owner surrender at 13 yrs old

Thanks
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2016, 05:17 PM
Takes time for the hormones to go away after a neuter. Can be up to 6 weeks so you may have to keep them apart or just keep a good eye on them when they are together. Ate the other two neutered? You could try using a dilution of antiseptic like dettol to mask the smell of the two dogs by wiping round their rear ends. He may have been used at stud.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-09-2016, 07:29 PM
I have an entire male and 2 entire females, when they get a bit frisky I tell them to pack it in and if necessary physically move them apart. It works for me. Personally I don't think trying to mask the smell works.
SLH
New Member!
Male 

24-09-2016, 07:57 PM
I have them separated now but his nagging is perpetual at this point. I truly hope it mellows out asap. He is a super gentle dog and deserves to live the last part of his life out in a home. My other dogs are fine with him until he gets in their face or persistently sniffing them and he just doesn't get when they get on to him for it.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-09-2016, 08:05 PM
If you persist the penny will eventually drop.
SLH
New Member!
Male 

24-09-2016, 09:24 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping it will take care of itself with time and nobody is worse for the wear.