Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
burrpenick
New Member!
Male 

08-09-2016, 01:17 AM

Ready to get a dog

Lost our Golden last year, looking at a Flatcoat Retriever-well mixed ones I guess. THe Goldens seem to be getting a shorter life span (CANCER) and Google says the Flatcoats may have similar issues, but I'm hoping that not being purebred that maybe the genetics will improve? I've found a rescue dog that is a yr old spayed female, 40 lbs, solid black and looks very much like a flatcoat or even a Golden Ret, but not quite as tall. Maybe I can post a pic and someone can GUESS what mix she is? Also any comments about the health issues of Flatcoats w/be appreciated. Thanks, George in NC
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	dog1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	5212   Click image for larger version

Name:	dog3.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	5213  
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2016, 04:42 AM
The shape of the back legs in the second picture look poodle to me but maybe that is the way the dog has been stood?
perriejinnie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-09-2016, 06:28 AM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
The shape of the back legs in the second picture look poodle to me but maybe that is the way the dog has been stood?
IMO it is not looking like Poodle. It is just the way the dog was standing at that moment. I am not sure about the breed mix of the dog. The life span of the dogs depends upon the way they are kept and treated. It is just one factor behind their long life.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2016, 07:02 AM
My lovely Amber is 5 and a half and seems to be doing ok. Fingers crossed. She is my 4th Labrador retriever. My first lived until she was 15. My 2nd a big old boy I took on when he was three and I think it was him that gave Honey my first Lab that extra life. He unfortunately went at 12 years. My next bitch was thirteen when she went. Each time it has taken me several months before deciding on getting another. Amber however will be my last alas. I am now getting too disabled to do the best by her.
burrpenick
New Member!
Male 

08-09-2016, 02:03 PM
Any Blackcoated Retriever owners out there? One forum I saw mentioned an 8-10 yr lifespan? Here is another shot of Stargazer- I dont see any Poodle myself, but I"ve not seen her in person either.
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	dog22.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	5214  
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-09-2016, 02:20 PM
I think you need to go and meet the dog yourself and see if you bond with each other before making any decisions based purely on how she looks. I know and have seen many good looking dogs, but sometimes their temperament belies their looks
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-09-2016, 04:10 PM
Agree with the above, also don't be fooled into thinking because you are getting a Xbreed it will be free from any inherent diseases that might occur in either breed, you are still as likely to get any problems both / either of the breeds involved.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-09-2016, 04:31 PM
Yeah, I think retrievers can suffer from Hip and Elbow Dysplasia and also eye problems. I remember my eye vet telling me they have just discovered PRA in the NSDTR
burrpenick
New Member!
Male 

08-09-2016, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Yeah, I think retrievers can suffer from Hip and Elbow Dysplasia and also eye problems. I remember my eye vet telling me they have just discovered PRA in the NSDTR
Still have not heard from Blackcoat owners- I guess they are a rare breed. Yes, I must go see the dog but right now my wife needs to be on board first.

George
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-09-2016, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by burrpenick View Post
Still have not heard from Blackcoat owners- I guess they are a rare breed. Yes, I must go see the dog but right now my wife needs to be on board first.

George
Never heard of a black coat.....maybe that's why you have not had a response .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >