Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Swifty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2016, 08:42 PM

Off topic dog and working posts

Do dogs need to be owned by people who have jobs so they can afford the proper care for them, or should they all be owned by people who do not work so that the doggie never has to be left alone for even a second?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2016, 09:22 PM
that is actually a very interesting question that you pose. Taking it from the dog's perspective, I would think that they would say the latter scenario - but then dogs live for the moment, live for the day - they have no concept of "the future". But if you are taking a holistic view, looking at the situation purely in terms of what is best for the animal to be able to reproduce and therefore pass on his genes, you would obviously take the first scenario as being correct.

If you put me on the spot though to choose, I personally would take the second scenario.
Swifty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2016, 09:26 PM
Wrong Gnash, dogs do not need people 24 hours a day. In fact when they are left alone they get to be all dog and do not need to pretend to be people.

People like you end up with neurotic dogs that do not know that they were born to chase and eat raccoons and drink from creeks.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2016, 09:39 PM
I totally disagree ... dogs still retain their wolf genetics - that is the whole point, that is why we were able hundreds of thousands of years ago to turn a wild wolf into a dog. Dogs are still wolves at heart - and ipso facto, if we go out to work and leave them home alone, it is like they have been kicked out of the pack, which in a wolf pack means certain death. Our dogs hate to be left home alone, end of - they would much prefer to come to work with us but this is mostly impossible, so they have to stay behind whilst we effectively go out to hunt!
Swifty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2016, 09:48 PM
Look Gnash, Wolves have no need to be in the pack 24 hours a day, do some basic research before you post your opinions. Your claim that dogs left alone for a time suffer a being kicked out of the pack syndrome is just silly. Back to how I started this and not to be rude, but perhaps your dog needs some balls if he gets scared the moment he is alone. Have you ever heard of a watchdog, bred specifically to guard all on his or her own? Sure this happens but it is not because of Wolf pack mentality, it is most often due to retarded humans breeding retarded dogs and then reading Cesar Milan comedy books.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2016, 10:15 PM
If you think that wolves - wild wolves - have no need to be "in the pack" 24 x 7 then you have no knowledge or concept of how a wolf pack functions.
It is not a question of being scared - the whole raison d'etre of the evolution of dogs from wolves is that they could see the benefit of becoming homo sapiens' defence, partner in crime, the evolution of wolf to dog is inspired, it is synonymous with the total dominance of our species - homo sapiens. We could not have risen to be the dominant species on earth without the domestication of the wolf.
Swifty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2016, 12:17 AM
So you have never heard of a lone wolf, one that purposely goes off alone to find another male or female in order to begin their own family. Again you have no idea how much you do not know. As neither wolves or dogs are hurt by time alone. Are you aware that people buy dogs to leave alone at home when they are gone, just so that their property is not left unattended?

Seriously some people even buy German Shepherds for this, just not one like yours that whines if left alone for 5 minutes.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2016, 08:57 AM
Clearly we are poles apart - so much so that I see little point in continuing this charade - it cannot possibly be described as a debate.

You should find out the FACTS before insulting my dog.
Swifty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2016, 12:42 PM
You have lost, as you have never heard of a watchdog, of which German Shepherds, Dobies and Rotties are among the best. Your belief that these dogs can not be left alone while an owner works or they become sick shows that you have no understanding of dogs. Again the understanding of dogs that you possess is none at all, sure you may understand your dog very well, but you also do not understand that your German Shepherd is clearly neurotic and not a breed representative, which is why it was neutered.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2016, 08:31 PM
Firstly, I have never said that ANY dogs cannot be left alone whilst the owner works. What I have said is that irrespective of breed, virtually ALL dogs would much prefer for their owners to be with them during the day. And I have gone on to point out that there are many dogs, my Ben included - who by the way is not a german shepherd, he is an Alaskan Malamute x low content wolf cross - who suffer from extreme separation anxiety and cannot be left. When I say cannot, of course they can, but not if you do not want your house destroyed.

My dog was NOT neutered because he was neurotic. Here in the UK ALL rescue centres will routinely neuter and spay the dogs they rescue. I have reservations about this, but there it is, if one wants to rescue a dog then one has to accept that most likely he or she will be neutered.

My dog is not neurotic. He is as he is because he was appallingly badly treated for years, tied up on concrete in a back garden with no shelter, 24 x 7 for three years before he went on to a further 3 or 4 homes before landing on his paws with us.

And if myunderstanding of dogs is none at all, then surely you are contradicting yourself when you go on to acknowledge that I MAY understand my dog very well!! Make your mind up!!

Actually, I have lived with dogs since I was 14 - a span of very nearly 50 years - so whereas I by no means consider myself an expert, I am a huge dog lover and consider myself a good handler of some very difficult crosses in particular.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >