View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
internetUserXV
New Member!
Male 

12-08-2016, 03:48 PM

I need help considering if I adopted an incompatible dog and if I should return him

Hello Everyone,

I recently adopted a dog from the adoption agency from a Petco store. My wife and I have wanted a dog for a few years and just moved into a home so this was perfect timing.

So I put a lot of blame on myself, since I only ever owned a dog one time and it was when I was younger and it was a Germen Shepard, so I was definitely naïve and uneducated when I was picking out a new dog to adopt. I should have done more research on different dog breeds and what their personalities are like.

So when we when to Petco we met with about 6 dogs, we checked out their temperament, their energy level, and ask the Humane dog volunteers a lot of different questions to make sure that we were getting the right dog for us.

One of the biggest requirements for us was getting a "lazy" dog. We don't go out very much and we are a family that likes to stay home most of the time. We told this to the volunteers and they picked a dog for us they assured us would be a match. We asked if they were sure and they said well if it does not work you can always bring him back.

I did ask them what kind of dog it was and they said something like a "mixed breed" or something general, so at the time I was not sure what we were in for since, when we met Pongo he was well behaved and felt if we did not get the dog right away some other family may have snatched him up if left to think about it and do more investigation.

Well, it has been a month now and our dog (Pongo) feels like he isn't a good match for us and I don't know if its a matter of us having more patience until Pongo gets better, trained more, or if we simply didn't get a good match.

Now for some details I later found out about the dog after doing my own research:

- Pongo is a rat terrier
- About a year old
- He has a VERY high energy level at times
- He gets bored very easily
- Pongo can be incredibly stubborn
- He bothers my cats from time to time (not often though)
- He barks excessively when people aren't around or he wants someone's attention.

Let me say some good things as well about Pongo:

- Everyone gives me compliments that he is cute
- He is trainable, I just taught him how to sit

Our biggest issue with Pongo is, that I can deal with most of these issues. My main concern honestly is that Pongo looks bored most of the time. I am not sure if it is just his natural facial expression, or if he really is.

Sometimes I feel bad for Pongo when he wants to play, but my wife and I are at work, so when he is bored he ends up being destructive or making "bored" noises. I know part of this is being a 1-year-old puppy, but I feel that other things come from him being a rat terrier and they definitely need to be more active.

The only solution I have come up with are the following:

- Maybe invest in some dog day care once every two weeks
- Build a fence around our yard so we can let him play around there (building a fence is really expensive option though)
- Wait it out until he gets to be older, which in turn will make him lazier... but that can take a few years...

So I wanted to reach out to everyone here to see what everyone opinions were. Is our lifestyle not a good match for Pongo, or will we get better with time?

Will he adapt to our lifestyle even though he is a Rat Terrier, or due to the dogs breed they will be like that no matter what and will need owners who have an active lifestyle or who can give it the attention it needs?

I imagine that since we only had him for a month if we did have to give him back it would be better sooner, rather than later.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-08-2016, 03:56 PM
I don't know what you think you have to offer a dog in all honesty, maybe look at getting an elderly dog or a stuffed one.
Terriers do not get lazy as a rule, mine is 9 and is still as active as when I got him as a pup. You can train them to settle down but that requires effort from you. Seriously you thought doggy day care once a fortnight would suffice. The Issue with Pongo is he sadly found the wrong owner.
internetUserXV
New Member!
Male 

12-08-2016, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I don't know what you think you have to offer a dog in all honesty, maybe look at getting an elderly dog or a stuffed one.
Terriers do not get lazy as a rule, mine is 9 and is still as active as when I got him as a pup. You can train them to settle down but that requires effort from you. Seriously you thought doggy day care once a fortnight would suffice. The Issue with Pongo is he sadly found the wrong owner.
Wrong owner? That's a little harsh. Not only did we try our best, spend money on toys for the dog, and pay medical bills, but at least we tried and gave him a home.

And as I did admit fault in the beginning as I said I should have done more research beforehand, but I don't think there is a need to be somewhat condescending about. Am I going to be crucified on here now, being "the bad owner" by simply trying to find the best solution for us and the dog?

All I was trying to find out here is if despite the dog breed can a dog adapt to the lifestyle of a family, or if that is difficult for the dog breed and its best for it to be a match for a family that fits the dog type (the other way around).

If someone can tell me a dog breed can fit the families lifestyle, then I will actually keep the dog and do my best to work with it..... but if someone with experience tells me, no, it is not possible and you have to find the breed that already IS that lifestyle then I will do what is best for the dog and help him find a more suited family.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

12-08-2016, 04:39 PM
I wasn't being condescending I was being honest actually.
Terriers are busy little dogs as a rule, you by your own admission you are a lazy family that don't like to go out.
How do you plan on exercising the dog if you don't go out?
Not all individual dogs will be typical of their breed, some will always be different.
I don't dispute you gave him a home, but who's actually benefited from it, have you, has he?
Dogs unless extremely elderly or ill require daily exercise, you don't mention exercise.
You think he's bored, no sh!t sherlock, what has he got to entertain him?
internetUserXV
New Member!
Male 

12-08-2016, 05:01 PM
I wasn't being condescending I was being honest actually.
Terriers are busy little dogs as a rule, you by your own admission you are a lazy family that don't like to out.
How do you plan on exercising the dog if you don't go out?
Not all individual dogs will be typical of their breed, some will always be different.
I don't dispute you gave him a home, but who's actually benefited from it, have you, has he?
Dogs unless extremely elderly or ill require daily exercise, you don't mention exercise.
You think he's bored, no sh!t sherlock, what has he got to entertain him?
Okay, I understand and appreciate the honest feedback. We do give him exercise, twice a day when I try to jog with him, but given the type of breed he is, it may not be enough because I work throughout the day and don't have time since I am at work.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

12-08-2016, 05:12 PM
Ok when I worked full time I had a terrier, not the current one, he came to work with me, I interacted with him when I could, he was exercised before work, lunch time and a very long walk of about 2 hours after work. We'd be out most of the weekend, not always walking but watching the kids play football, cricket etc and get a good walk both before and after.
You'd probably do better with a less demanding dog, one from the companion group, cavalier, shih tzu, lhasa apso etc
internetUserXV
New Member!
Male 

12-08-2016, 05:41 PM
Ok when I worked full time I had a terrier, not the current one, he came to work with me, I interacted with him when I could, he was exercised before work, lunch time and a very long walk of about 2 hours after work. We'd be out most of the weekend, not always walking but watching the kids play football, cricket etc and get a good walk both before and after.
You'd probably do better with a less demanding dog, one from the companion group, cavalier, shih tzu, lhasa apso etc
Thank you so much, for the advice, I really do appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I can't bring the dog to work with me, although I can see how that can break up the dullness being at home trapped in one area while we are working.

I really wished we did more research before we got him, but I really do just want the best for him, and if he is indeed an "active" dog, and cannot change then in that regard he will need a different family.

As for the weekends, I do take him out longer than usual in the morning, noon, and night. Although sometimes he does jog with me... other times he does not (but this can be a training matter).

Although we do try to keep me as active as best we can, I can admit it is probably not enough for this particular dog breed.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2016, 06:37 PM
My own personal point of view is that it is unreasonable to leave a dog home alone all day. If you have 2 dogs or more that is a bit better, but not much. Dogs are pack animals and they view you as pack leader. If you go out to work full time or part time and leave them home alone they view that as a punishment, that they have done something wrong. They get bored and restless, stressed by the perceived rejection and will then turn their attention to destructive behaviours. It is possible of course for a dog or dogs to be left alone for long periods of time without them destroying the house, but they are the rarity ... I think at best you have the wrong dog there ... Terriers need a lot of stimulation and exercise ... But my own thoughts are that you really are not doggie people ... Sorry if that sounds harsh x gnasher
internetUserXV
New Member!
Male 

12-08-2016, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
My own personal point of view is that it is unreasonable to leave a dog home alone all day. If you have 2 dogs or more that is a bit better, but not much. Dogs are pack animals and they view you as pack leader. If you go out to work full time or part time and leave them home alone they view that as a punishment, that they have done something wrong. They get bored and restless, stressed by the perceived rejection and will then turn their attention to destructive behaviours. It is possible of course for a dog or dogs to be left alone for long periods of time without them destroying the house, but they are the rarity ... I think at best you have the wrong dog there ... Terriers need a lot of stimulation and exercise ... But my own thoughts are that you really are not doggie people ... Sorry if that sounds harsh x gnasher

No, it is not harsh. You and Trouble are giving some good points and advice here. I will talk about it and see what my wife thinks as well, but this is why I wanted to come and post here, to get good advice from experienced dogs owners.

It is interesting though that you said we are not doggie people.... I mean I understand that dogs need love, attention, and exercise, but is there a breed out there that tends to need less exercise or much less high energy? If so I would love to look into a breed like that because I would love a dog, although I would hate to think that we can't own a dog because we just can't invest so much energy time for any breed out there, and if that's the case, then maybe we are just "cat" people
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-08-2016, 08:10 PM
I think the fact that you specifically explained to the rescue exactly what your set up was and your basic requirements, who then gave you a dog that was entirs ely opposite, does not reflect well on that rescue. Unsurprisingly this dog does not fit your lifestyle and never will, end of.
So you can either keep the dog and try and meet its needs, or you can find him a home that will meet his needs, he is a working dog and needs a job, the best you can offer him is a warm place by the fire, medical attention, food and walks. Incidentally, I am not at all sure you should be going running with a young dog, impacts badly on the skeleton and he could end up with severe problems in later years, think of it as taking a 5 year old to run a marathon, you wouldn't would you. Not criticising, how would you know, no ones bothered to educate you.
I think an older dog that is looking for a quiet life is the better match in your set of circumstances
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >