Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
LHARTWICK
New Member!
Female 

27-07-2016, 03:24 PM

Newbie w/skin allergy questions please!

Newbie here - just joined today. My 10 yr old Chihuahua Rat Terrier mix has skin allergies. He does fine about Oct - April but once the weather warms up, his skin really flares up. Starts out as a little itching then eventually his whole body is taken over. I feed him Wellness Core Grain Free Wild Game formula. Current supplements: NutriVet Salmon Oil, Mercola Krill Oil, Mercola Ubiquinol (started both of those today), Probiotic Miracle Powder, and Benadryl 1/day (25 mg). The ONLY thing that seems to help with the itch is a round (or 2) of antibiotics and steroids. I hate doing that because of side effects, but I haven't found anything else that works. He's an inside dog, except to go outside to potty. Anything else I should try? I'm absolutely at wit's end and very frustrated. Help!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2016, 04:56 PM
Hang on a sec! I've heard of indoor cats but never indoor dogs. Are you saying he never goes out except to urinate and defecate?
LHARTWICK
New Member!
Female 

27-07-2016, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Hang on a sec! I've heard of indoor cats but never indoor dogs. Are you saying he never goes out except to urinate and defecate?
I said he's inside EXCEPT to go potty. Yes - he goes outside to potty.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-07-2016, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by LHARTWICK View Post
I said he's inside EXCEPT to go potty. Yes - he goes outside to potty.
Does he not go for walks?
LHARTWICK
New Member!
Female 

27-07-2016, 09:20 PM
No - he's not leashed trained. I hope to do that soon. He's a VERY skittish rescue. He's just now getting to where I can hold him when I want. It's been a slow process, but he's so much better than when we found him. We do, however, play fetch outside on nice days and inside when the weather is not so good. We try to get some exercise in. I just try to minimize his exposure to allergens when they are at high levels.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

27-07-2016, 09:38 PM
Oh ok not anything he's coming into contact with when he's out on walks so that narrows the causes. Do you think it's heat related or that it's there anyway and the heat aggravates it? If the heat is aggravating it you could look at ways to keep him cool.
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-07-2016, 05:56 AM
So sorry about what happen to your dog! As you said he have an skin infection or allergies, I also agree with all the recent post, you're right taking that antibiotic and steroids for longer is not good to our dog! Virgin coconut oil have so many benefits not only to us but we can use it to preventing our dog to have a dry skin and also it can help you to fight the skin allergies, also this high quality dog food for dogs with allergies is very effective for treating allergy to our dog. Hope he will be okay soon keep us update
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2016, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by LHARTWICK View Post
No - he's not leashed trained. I hope to do that soon. He's a VERY skittish rescue. He's just now getting to where I can hold him when I want. It's been a slow process, but he's so much better than when we found him. We do, however, play fetch outside on nice days and inside when the weather is not so good. We try to get some exercise in. I just try to minimize his exposure to allergens when they are at high levels.
OK, good luck with the leash training!! I have a very itchy scratchy dog - currently he has to wear a muzzle 24 x 7 because otherwise he would literally eat himself. We discovered he had lice, not a bad infestation, but nonetheless lice, and it has left him with unbearable itching even though the lice have gone. They are tiny, very difficult to see with the naked eye, but just like head lice, if you look very carefully you will see dark spots and also eggs. May be worth your while considering lice if you haven't already?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

28-07-2016, 09:47 AM
The vet could do a skin scrape as it could be mites, just dunno how he'd take to a trip to the vets.
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-07-2016, 11:28 AM
Hello. Has the dog been on the same food since you got him? My parents had a lab mix with a similar issue and when they changed his food the issue went away. He also had to take steroids to get the problem under control. I believe with this dog the problem also started in the warmer months.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >