Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vulisha
New Member!
Male 

21-07-2016, 12:09 AM

GF 9mo Maltese is terrified of me

Hello,

So my girlfriend got her first dog, male Maltese, in September last year, few weeks after we went on a walk and all was good, after that few more walks, but, i was not ever at her home, where she lives with her mother and sister(so 3 females, and he is male). When I went first time, he started barking and barking and barking from safe distance. We thought he is still young so I didn't come by for few months and then I started coming, every time the same story, I come he barks, for hours. So we tried me sitting on floor, she playing with him when I come. Nothing worked. So I ordered special(and expensive) treats for him that I only give him when I come. First few times she gave it so he knows they are good, and then me for last few months.
After 2-3 hours of barking he stops, but me talking, coughing or laughing and touching my GF makes him jump and start barking again. We thought that he is protective of "his"home but one time, when he stopped barking she picked him up and I tried to give him my hand to sniff it(palm down), he got so scared that he peed.

And after two months of casual wait for him to get cool, then give him treats(in mean time he few times came, carefully to smell me),
Yesterday when we my GF fell asleep, he got his toy and brought it to me and I threw it and he brought it back, and we played for half and hour, he smelled me, he took treats from my hands, lick my hands and finally he fell asleep, and I thought that that is finally it. But today, I came, he started barking again, I wanted to give him my hand to smell it, he peed again, and didn't stop barking. Like nothing happened.

I know that is a big post but I am idea less, and he is so cute :/
What to do?

In short:
I love dogs, dogs usually love me.
I never ever, steeped on him, yelled on him or anything bad.
He lives with 3 females.
He usually barks, on new males, but stops after 5 mins.
I sat on floor, gave him best treats for two months
We were friends for few hours and next day he forgot that.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2016, 08:31 AM
Oh Filip, what a shame, you obviously want so desperately want to be friends.
I dont have enough experience to advise you but I'm sure somebody will soon.
I the mean time Welcome to Dogsey and good luck.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2016, 11:52 AM
From the information you have given, it looks like play is your friend here. Instead of (or as well as) giving treats, try playing.

It may be that you take a ball (or toy you know she will like) and at first just sit and toss the ball in the air and catch it until you notice that she's taking interest. Once you notice that interest, accidentally on purpose drop the ball on the floor. If she shows interest to play, keep the game going, if not just pick up the toy and toss and catch again.

If she runs off with the toy, pick up another one and toss that in the air.

Try to take no notice of her at all while you are doing this. Let her work to gain your interest and not the other way around.

May not work, but worth a go
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-07-2016, 12:17 PM
In addition to what Chris has said you could leave a t-shirt that's been worn by you at your GF's place and get her to place it near the dog so that he get's used to your smell.
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2016, 02:06 AM
Sound's you having such a hard time, maybe soon he will consider you as a friend don't loss hope just do the same thing as you do every time you visit your GirlFriend maybe a weeks or a month you will become best friend.
His over protective from now but if he feel that your not a bad person, dogs have a strong feelings they know if you are a good or bad guy. He started to getting to know you better why don't you try to visit your gf everyday? Maybe that's a good start to get his feeling, keep us update hope you will be okay soon. I know you are a good guy just be patience okay good luck.