Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2016, 12:59 PM

Gorilla Shot when Child Gets Into Enclosure

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36407643

So very sad

Sorry - not dog news, but didn't really know where to post this. Please move if in wrong section

Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2016, 01:22 PM
Chris I found it really sad too. Do you remember a few years back a child fell into an enclosure in a zoo in Jersey, I think.
I'm pretty sure that ended happily with everyone safe.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-05-2016, 01:54 PM
I saw this on the news last night and I am pretty sure the gorilla meant no harm at all to the child in fact he picked him up out of the water and was checking him over. Dreadful they shot him, there is talk this morning of the parents being prosecuted for child neglect
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-05-2016, 02:00 PM
Very sad, The Gorilla didn't look as though he meant any harm but he did drag him through the water at speed and could easily have killed him without meaning to.
I think the parents should have been taking better care of their child.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-05-2016, 03:36 PM
Unpopular view - there's plenty of kids but there ain't many gorillas!
Suspect parenting - at best!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-05-2016, 06:26 PM
Afraid I have to agree with all of you. How did this child break away from parents and why isn't the security fence more secure ?
Very sad especially for an endangered species the zoo should also be held accountable for lack of care for the gorilla.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2016, 08:15 PM
It's so very sad. The zoo have said that the gorillas have been in that same enclosure for 38 years without problems and with many inspections from the powers that be. Surely, no gaps should be in any barriers surrounding wild animals so this one has obviously been repeatedly missed.

The mother of the child said that she had three other children with her and one was a baby that she was carrying in her arms. She also said that the incident happened very quickly, that she saw it but couldn't react quickly enough. I know things don't take long with kids, but surely to go under a barrier would take more than a split second unless that barrier had quite a big gap.

Another of those unfortunately incidents that we will never know the full story on, but which has caused an animal its life.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2016, 08:31 PM
My thought is that if you can't keep watch over the X number of kids you bring with you, then perhaps you shouldn't go unless you can find another adult. I would never imagine being able to watch 6 dogs at once. Two I can handle. 6 I would require a second pair of hands and eyes.

And I see a lot of "it could happen to anyone" yes well...if this kid had gotten away and kidnapped no one would be saying that to the parent who wasn't paying enough attention.
waggytail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Tragic. so so sad ....

Has anyone seen any photographs of the barriers? Surely the security of such animals would be extremely tight? Did the child slip through or did they actually climb over?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2016, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by gordon mac View Post
Unpopular view - there's plenty of kids but there ain't many gorillas!
Suspect parenting - at best!
Well said, Gordon!! I totally agree with you. In any case, the child was in no danger ... you could see that he/she was totally calm, it is absolutely ridiculous.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »