Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Voffer
New Member!
Male 

13-05-2016, 09:22 AM

How to persuade boyfriend - Second dog

I guess this may be more of a "relationship-issue"; but im sure many of you have been trough similar a similar situation:
-I want a second dog, but my boyfriend "doesnt think its the right time".

Quick facts about our current dog; Hes polite, im doing all the work and bills because i love him so mutch. I feed him, walk him, and he spends the day with me at work as well.

Time is no problem, money is not either and i got a flexible job; so if i got us a second pup; it would be no problem getting some time off to "stay at home" til the pup settles.

Anyways, ive ran out of "aproaches" to talk about this matter with my boyfriend.
I feel like im being "punished" for mentioning it, like its being put "further down the line" every time i mention it. But to me its important, it takes up ALOT of my brain-activity (haha) and its my main hobby.

Any idea on how i can "start the conversation" without him snapping at me?

As mentioned; its no problem financial, i got the time, were allowed to have dogs where we live, got a big yard, surrounded by nature and soon we are even buying our own place. Our current dog is kinda hard to find a "babysitter" for if needed, but the dog im looking for will be no problem as its alot smaller ( peoples only concern with my current one, is that if he pulls or something when he sees a cat, they wont be able to manage it)

I really dont see the problem, execpt for my BF thinking its "not the right time" , wich is fair i guess; i simply cant just get a pup and hope for the best. (Even though i almost did this one time, lol)

He keeps mentioning i "forced" him to get our first dog after my dog died ,and he acctually was the one who said "YES!!!! Well take it!" to the breeder. :P

And "if i give in, you will just ask for another one", like im some kind of hoarder of dogs. Haha.

So how do i "win him over" without being a manipulating bitch? :P Any tips?

I dont know if i mention it, butwith our current dog im the one who:
- Walks him
- Training him
- Feed
- Buy stuff/food/vet bills
- Vaccum every day to get the dog-hairs
- Bring him everywhere i go
And hes my best company ever, as my boyfriend doesnt like to leave the home after work.

Still, i feel like i would like a second dog. Both for myself, and for our current dog to have some awsome company wich i sadly cant provide him as im a human.
I dont have any kids, nor can i get one, so its like my baby

(SOrry for the english, its not my first-language)
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2016, 09:27 AM
How old is the dog you have now? He might not like a second one coming into his home and taking your attention away from him. Maybe wait until he is much older. Your choice but if your partner isn't that keen maybe he sees the logic behind not getting another dog yet as the one you have is your companion through and through.
Voffer
New Member!
Male 

13-05-2016, 09:49 AM
Hes just about to turn 3 years. Im thinking about getting a bitch, because my current one is a male. (Acctually prefer female dogs)

Hmm, im not quite sure what you meant with him being mine "trough and trough" my companion?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-05-2016, 10:03 AM
That post is all about I want, I want, but your boyfriend lives there too and he doesn't want but you don't explain why. although it sounds like he resents being talked into having the first dog. You can cope financially now but could you if he decided he'd had enough and walked out?
I think you need an adult discussion as to why he doesn't want another, and listen to him don't just keep disagreeing with him.
Voffer
New Member!
Male 

13-05-2016, 10:48 AM
Well, lots of the "i want" is because of bad english as well, hah, but i see what you mean.

Its hard to give a reply, it sounds way to whiny, so il keep it "short".

He mentioned only a few reasons not to get a second dog;
-Hes to tired after work
-He think the dog i want looks ugly
-He thinks im a asshole for "looking at puppies behind hes back". I might as well have slept with another man on how he acted, wich i find hard to understand as i never brought any pup home. I just wanted to look at a few litter and get some info from breeders.
- We have to buy a house all of sudden

I know im acting kinda childish, and like i said; Its probably more of a relationship-thingy then a "dog-issue". Mostly it feels like nothing will happen in life, because he doesnt like hes job and dont have the balls to find a new job ;(
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-05-2016, 11:07 AM
Ok so maybe drop it for a while until after you've bought the house, house buying can take over your life and probably if applying for a mortgage it's not the best time to be changing jobs either.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-05-2016, 01:54 PM
I may get criticised for this (I frequently do,lol) but to me it's not a second dog you need it's a new boyfriend. One that is more in tune with you and your wants and needs and a tad more sympathetic.
Simply - get rid of him. There are as they say - plenty more fish in the sea.
Good luck !
Voffer
New Member!
Male 

13-05-2016, 03:22 PM
Haha, the though has struck me to be honest. To find the perfect pup and just show up home and be like "take it or leave it!", but that would just make me an asshole i guess
And i couldnt bear the argue that would come up

Im going in for the shot once more tonight, wish me good luck

Its hard to just "let it go" when you want it so mutch, and the only thing in the way is the person you love
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-05-2016, 03:53 PM
I'd ditch the boyfriend....but then I far prefer dogs to people anyway.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2016, 06:45 AM
I meant that your dog is your companion and may not take kindly to another coming in to take over which they might. It just depends on your dog and another getting along. Sadly you may lose what you have now and then think 'oh he doesn't love me like he used to'. Just prefers the other dog that you have brought in. Lots to think about. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >