Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2016, 12:43 PM

New camera = photos!

I finally sold a lens I wasn't using and was able to buy a new camera body. For those curious, it's a Sony a77ii. I've been having a blast getting to know the camera this week. So much more fancy than my previous one. Lots of bells and whistles! But I LOVE the quality of the photos I'm getting. It just has more subtlety than my previous camera.

Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2016, 01:19 PM
Lovely photo's. Gorgeous subjects x
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2016, 02:04 PM
lovely lovely piccies!!! i am such a plank, i totally thought the hedgehog was a real one lol
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

09-05-2016, 11:59 PM
Looked it up - sounds a good camera.

I'm using Canon 1D Mark lV

Kind of reluctant to change due to investment in lenses over the years.

Cool pics by the way.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2016, 12:16 PM
wow what stunning photos, the camera is a worthwhile investment
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-05-2016, 02:44 PM
First the camera

Sony SLT-A77 II key specifications:
24MP CMOS Sensor with gapless, offset microlenses
12fps continuous shooting with autofocus (up to 60 JPEGs)
79 point AF module with 15 cross-type AF points, covering 40% of frame
Increased control over AF behavior
1080p60 movies with autofocus
Audio level monitoring during movie shooting
2.4M dot OLED viewfinder
Pull-out three-hinge tilt/swivel 1.23m dot White Magic LCD screen
Built-in Wi-Fi with NFC
1/8000th maximum shutter speed, shutter rated for 150,000 actuations
ISO 100 - 25,600 (Extendable down to 50, and up to 51,200 with multi-image combination)
Auto ISO customization
Optional, profile-based correction of vignetting, chromatic aberrations and geometric distortion
Top panel LCD
Stereo microphone and external mic socket.
AF Micro Adjust

Sounds like a good specification it shoot in RAW uncompressed as well. I would only use it in Adobe RGB mode not SRGB but the choice is there in camera.

What would put me off is the swing out screen, I can see that easily getting knocked and broken and no duel card slot.
What I do like is the 12fps in particular and it goes up to 1/8000 sec shutter speed which a lot don't ..

Now for the photos above
An excellent example I have to say of a set of photos. Wow me saying something nice about photos needs high lighting, but praise where it is due.

Maybe a few shots of how the camera performs in low light- with flash and landscapes would be interesting and a video as well

I find this site good for camera information

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-slt-a77ii

Users comments are interesting
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-05-2016, 03:12 PM
I did mention about duel card slot particularly because that way you can keep one card for yourself and the other for a friend, thinking of weddings family shots and the like
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2016, 12:47 PM
I'm hoping to get into some low light conditions soon! I take a lot of photos at agility classes in a barn with not great lighting. My instructor is going to get me up there sometime soon so I can play with the camera and play at being distraction for the dogs (it's a win-win situation!).

I have to be honest...I've never used the dual card slot in my old camera. I'm sure it would have been handy but I only ever used just the one and traded out cards. I don't really take photos for things like weddings or families so there's no concern there.

The swing out screen is nice in a way. When you have it seated in the camera it's really seated in there and there's no way to knock it out. It's flush right up to it and sits in tightly. So unless you need it, it's not in the way. But it comes in handy on occasion. My Sony a580 had one and I used it on occasion. Mostly if I wanted to put the camera on the ground for a shot at a really low angle and didn't feel like laying down in the grass to it. Or once or twice at the zoo when I had to shoot over a fence and the only way to see what I was taking pictures of was by moving the screen out so I could see it that way. So it has its uses! But mostly it just stays seated in the camera.

The one thing I'm not that fond of is the EVF. I really prefer an optical viewfinder but this is where Sony has gone to and so I have no choice but to follow. Like Phil above, I have an investment in my lenses and so I'm just not willing to dump it all to start over with something new. I started with Sony because when I was a clueless newbie I got a good deal on a refurbished Sony a230. And so here I am with one of Sony's latest!

I HAVE contemplated picking up a used Canon or Nikon at some point, maybe some lower end camera, just to maybe get started with a different brand. But I don't have the money at the moment, so Sony it is!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-05-2016, 04:36 PM
Great photographs Crysania I enjoyed seeing your lovely happy dogs
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2016, 07:13 PM
What gorgeous photos of your lovely dogs, I like Griff thought the hedgehog was real at first
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >