Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2016, 08:06 AM

Made me chuckle

http://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/exce...11364055720738
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-05-2016, 09:18 AM
OMG how ridiculous is that. I've had packages from them with that could be smaller, but that one beats everything hands down.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

01-05-2016, 11:57 AM
Yes one has to laugh at such things but in support of Amazon (And I don't often jump to their support):-
a) They almost certainly don't know the lady is disabled
b) The box doesn't have to go to landfill, I often reuse boxes from Amazon, and this could be storage for all sorts of stuff.
c) Willing to put money on Amazons supplier of boxes being the real culprit here and not delivering all the sizes that Amazon ordered and what's a guy on the production line to do when faced with delaying delivery (This was a present so needed to be sent on time) or using the only thing on his shelf.......a grossly oversized box

Amazon might be at fault, maybe they had thousands of ickle likle boxes on the line, but we don't know and having worked in production I know what can happen.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-05-2016, 12:36 PM
I don't know about where this particular lady lives, but I take cardboard to the tip where there is a special skip for it and it is recycled. There are skips for virtually everything, and in one of them you can put stuff that can't be recycled and that is burnt to provide heat etc.I think it was 97% recycling there last month. I get a lot of cardboard as my pet mince is delivered in cardboard trays with lids. Also there are special bins that are collected twice a month for newspaper and cardboard such as pizza boxes and the like, no real excuse for it going to landfill
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2016, 01:42 PM
i have been in the same situation...a small item in a massive box, i just do as harvey says..re-use it...it is great to have a box ready to send stuff off to the family in ireland or spain and if i am not doing that, i will just pop it in my recycling bin.... i also wonder was she aware that she could have set a safe location to leave the parcel and also set up text alerts for when her parcel was to be delivered...she could have stuck a note on the door saying please leave extra time for me to get to the door
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2016, 08:46 AM
That made me smile because I've had same issue with them due to packaging. I agree with you Griff she could have let the delivery driver know to give her extra time to get to the door. I always recycle the boxes, I rarely need to post things so have no need to save them. If packaging is rediculous I just leave the feedback
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

02-05-2016, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I get a lot of cardboard as my pet mince is delivered in cardboard trays with lids. Also there are special bins that are collected twice a month for newspaper and cardboard such as pizza boxes
June, yes doesn't everyone have a BLUE bin now (They are blue in our area and all the cardbord boxes from pizzas and dog food and such go into it. It's a lot, but I do also reuse the Amazon boxes 'cos they are strong and I can write on the outside which helps me find stuff years after I've put in a box
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-05-2016, 11:30 AM
Ours are pale brown, we have black for rubbish, green for garden, burgundy for tins and glass and the pale brown for paper and cardboard. As Nigel does the garden and takes the stuff elsewhere, I don't have a green bin, I have a small green bin that used to be for recycling and I still use that, so no burgundy and no pale brown because no newspapers and cardboard goes to the tip when I take the girls used shavings. No black one because it was emptied of its black bin bags and stolen
The thought of that number of bins makes my head ache, I would have no room anywhere for anything else
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

02-05-2016, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Ours are pale brown, we have black for rubbish, green for garden, burgundy for tins and glass and the pale brown for paper and cardboard.
You are obviously much more sophisticated up there than we are down here

We have BLACK for general rubbish BLUE for cardboard, plastic, and food tins and BROWN for garden rubbish. I agree that any more than that and I would be getting a headache just thinking about all this recycling thing.

I am happy to help with recycling but it has to be simple, I am NOT a chemical scientist but I do know there are thousands of differnt types of plastic and some are NOT allowed in the blue bin.

I just play it safe and only put the plastic from the weekly shop (Flora tubs etc.) in the blue bin, if it looks even slightly non standard it goes in the black bin

This year they have started charging for the brown garden rubbish bin.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-05-2016, 12:51 PM
Harvey has your local tip got lots of different skips all labellled for a variety of items. I was a bit scared of going at first because I was sure I would be told I was going too much or had the wrong stuff etc etc. These men at mine are lovely, I have told them all about my 'rabbits' (they must be bluddy giant ones, but they act like they believe me) to the extent they are now bored of me and my eccentric ways, and leave me to chuck the black bins of used shavings (from my 'rabbits') into the burnables skip, I also chuck my cardboard trays into the cardboard and when I spent several weeks clearing the yard I obediently put everything where it needed to go or asked questions as to where. Anyhow there is a garden section at my tip now and all cuttings and grass cutting go in there free. Worth checking it out.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >