Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2016, 06:18 PM

New puppy or adult dog?

Hello,

I currently have a 9-year-old greyhound mix and we want to bring another dog into our home. Would getting a puppy be too much for the older dog? He still likes to play but he likes to have his quiet time too. Are there breeds of dog that are more likely to be a bit more docile than others as puppies? (I hope this wasn't a stupid question.) Thanks for any advice. As I put on the other forum this is an important decision so we have been taking our time.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-02-2016, 11:18 PM
I do not think it would be to much but finding a mellow breed might be a challenge.

Even giant breed pups are puppies and zoomies ball at times.

If your doing a puppy get ready for little ball of on/off energy.

Never a bad idea but I would look at how your dog deals with puppies and go from there.
No one here can answer that for you.

I have a giant bouncing ball in Mouse at his age, he loves all puppies, but give him a aggressive dog and he looks and acts like a totally different dog.

See how your dog is around pups and go from there.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-02-2016, 08:56 AM
I think Syd my male Dobie was about 8 when we brought Phoenix the black Pug in to the home. Syd was huge around 46 kgs and Phoenix was tiny. Syd was always really good with pups though, but the Pugs treated him like part of the furniture when he was asleep. They used his ribcage as a springboard from the floor to the sofa lol and he'd look round but just go back to sleep. They used to curl up by his chin and sleep with him too which was very cute as his head was bigger than their entire bodies. Pugs are crazy critters as puppies, very lively and energetic and full of confidence so I think it's just a case of choosing the right dog to bring in. I guess there are low energy breeds as puppies but they probably stay low energy as adults. I can't say because I've never wanted a low energy dog even though everyone assumes Pugs are, they really aren't.
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-02-2016, 06:13 PM
A rescue greyhound would be your best bet as you already have a sight hound
Azz
Administrator
Male 

12-02-2016, 10:34 PM
If you are rescuing, why not take your greyhound with you and let him decide
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2016, 03:33 PM
When our girl was 9ish (now 10ish), we were in this same situation. Super mellow, older girl, who still liked to play SOME. We opted for an adult dog, partially because we weren't sure she would want a puppy constantly bothering her (the adult dog understood warnings and left her alone when she didn't want to play) and partially because we just didn't want the hassle of dealing with puppy bladders and all the socialization training that goes into it.

We adopted a 2 year old dog. We went to a rescue who had a rather long application, who talked to us, and who helped us pick out just the right dog for our girl. And he's been BRILLIANT. We've had him for almost 8 months and the two of them get along like they've always known each other.

So I always am on the side of adult dog! You know the personality you're going go get when you meet them.
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-03-2016, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the input! I am thinking an adult dog may be better in this situation as well. Will keep you posted.
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2016, 09:15 AM
Any update yet?
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-08-2016, 07:21 PM
Sorry I haven't updated in a while. Life gets busy. Anyway, we still have not gotten another dog. It seems the perfect dog has not crossed our path yet. At this point we will probably look at the Humane Society for an older puppy or an adult dog. Thanks for the interest!