Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scruffy_fun
New Member!
Female 

08-02-2016, 02:22 PM

Toys for bright dogs

My jackapoo has a ball filled with treats which she loves rolling around and it's a great way of keeping her occupied on her own for a little while, however she's figured out that if she picks it up and flings it hard enough it will split in half and she can get them all at once. She also has a rope with pods on it which can be filled with treats and tightened, which is a brilliant toy and I also use the trusty Kong regularly. She has a Nina Ottosson spinny toy too which she's now figured out so it only takes her about two minutes to complete it now. Those range of toys are quite good but are expensive and seem a bit fussy to me...pod rope is far more basic but has provided hours more fun!

Does anyone have any more tried and tested recommendations?
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2016, 03:13 PM
i like the look of those treat pods. Have you tried the treat ball with the adjustable opening? she shouldn't be able to break it in half as it is one piece
this sort
https://www.waitrosepet.com/dog/dog-...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
i have 2 tug a jugs here...neither of mine bother with them, they were a gift for my old 2 dogs...might try this pair with them again now they are older
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Busy-Buddy-D.../dp/B000KV61FC
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2016, 03:38 PM
I like the Kong Wobbler, though it doesn't take my dog TOO long to get the treats out. It's not so much for smart dogs as persistent ones. There's also the tug a jug, but you have to be careful where the dog uses it because they have to really throw it around some.

And you use a Kong but do you freeze it? That occupies Ben for a good 45 minutes (we have the extra large one). I mix kibble with canned food, top with peanut butter and then freeze it. It's a good way to keep him out of our hair when he needs a little more mental stimulation!
scruffy_fun
New Member!
Female 

04-04-2016, 03:28 PM
Hi griff and Crysania

Thank you very much for your suggestions! Sorry for not responding sooner, I kept meaning to find this place again and check this thread but forgot my login details.

I've bought a Kong Wobbler for her and she loves it, so that's a hit. I hadn't thought about freezing the Kong, it might be worth a try. At the moment she does get the stuffed wet food out by flinging it about, so I can either see her trying the same and getting bored or waiting for it to melt and going back to it.

I shall try that treat ball, it looks like it will do the job! Looks like it might be a bit lighter too than the existing one which would help protect my poor wooden floors. The tug a jugs look perfect and are the sort of thing I was after, I shall definitely be trying her on one of those!

Thanks again.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2016, 03:31 PM
My dog licks at it until it warms up. He also chews it as it softens and pieces fall out and he licks that up. They can be kind of messy but it definitely takes longer with a frozen one than a non-frozen one. I think Ben can finish off a non-frozen one in about 10 minutes. A frozen one takes him almost an hour.

Glad the wobbler was a hit! Ben LOVES his. It really makes him think and it takes much longer for him to eat a meal than it does in a bowl (about 30 seconds vs. 20 minutes).
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2016, 10:50 PM
Let's just hope she isn't like my mates old ebt...he used to carry his Kong to the top of the stairs and throw it down so it hit the wall and emptiexd his Kong lol..he loved it, the wall...not so much