Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2016, 10:26 AM

Adding weight to a husky

Hi
I have a two year old entire male husky, he is raw fed and gets between 2.5% and 5% of his weight in food (guide is 2.5%). He is wormed and flead with drontal and advocate from the vets. He takes steroids occasionally for an allergy resulting in a cough (allergy unknown).

The problem I have is he is on th skinny side, 20kg, he is slender but feel he needs to put a little weight on. It is had to assess because of all the fur but vet said he could do with a little more adding but dont worry then he has grown so needs it now.

My question is what can I add to his diet to help increase his weight? upping the bulk of his food isnt an option he just trys to hide it. So it needs to be something calorie dense. He gets fatty choices of meat (lamb, beef, pork as the bulk with a little chicken and turkey). It is the correct rations meat; bone; organ.

I was thinking adding oil?

Any more suggestions?

Thanks

ATD x
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-02-2016, 10:56 AM
Will he eat cheese. Also do you add any veg to his food. I grate and steam a variety of veg, one of them being sweet potato. I make that separately as it does tend to make them fat, so the only two that get sweet potato is the puppy and her mother, who is very slender naturally. Maybe grating and steaming some sweet potato and adding that to his food will bulk him out a bit, also cheese may help. How tall is he because 20 kg seems very light to me, but then again I'm used to mine who don't weigh in under 35/45kg
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2016, 02:15 PM
Maybe replace some meat with tripe?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-02-2016, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
Maybe replace some meat with tripe?
Exactly what I was thinking.
Also be aware cheese can cause mucusy poo.
They are odd if mine have fish, no matter how much they have they are still hungry.
It's not always the quantity. 5% is a huge amount too.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2016, 02:56 PM
Thanks follow r the replies

Would rather stay away from cheese but will look at sweet potatoe how much do you give?

Tripe was going to be in my next order, I was trying to avoid it coz if the smell lol he use to get a lot of tripe but didn't make much of a difference.

ATD x
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2016, 03:03 PM
When he's on steroids - does it effect his appetite, and consequently puts on weight?

Some dogs are naturally skinny, maybe yours is one of them.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2016, 03:05 PM
He isn't on them long enough to it a high enough dose,

He last saw the vet 6 months ago who wasn't overly concerned but he has grown a little and not increased in weight, he is in the middle of blowing ATM which makes him look worse lol
ATD x
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2016, 03:10 PM
Maybe he'll fill out a bit more in a few months - he still not full adult, is he?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-02-2016, 03:18 PM
Know what you mean about the coat, one of mine looks like a scarecrow I give a dessert spoonful of grated steamed sweet potato. I usually grate a full one and steam it for 2 mins in the microwave in a dish with a bag over it if thats any help. Was thinking about venison, mine seem to pile it on if I feed any amount of it, have to stick to a little now and then
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-02-2016, 06:02 PM
Organ meats - like liver perhaps?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >