Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-12-2015, 08:40 PM

Current state of dog affairs

What do you think the current state of affairs is?

More/less in rescue?
More/less crosses being bred?
Healthier (or not) pedigrees?
Better/worse ownership?

Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

01-12-2015, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
What do you think the current state of affairs is?

More/less in rescue?
More/less crosses being bred?
Healthier (or not) pedigrees?
Better/worse ownership?

Almost certainly more dogs in rescue
Almost certainly more crosses being bred
Healthier pedigrees? can't say as I don't get involved in all that stuff.
Ownership worse judging by the declining standards of society.

None of the above is based on any survey just opinions.
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2015, 12:13 AM
Can't say for a fact but

More/less in rescue? Probably about the same

More/less crosses being bred? I think more people are breeding intentional crosses.

Healthier (or not) pedigrees? The health state I think is the same. Some breeds have seen some improvement but others might be worse off.

Better/worse ownership? Well I don't think humans are really getting better. There will be horrible owners, but I think the ease of information sharing has helped some be better owners who wouldn't otherwise easily have the resources to.
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2015, 08:16 AM
More/less in rescue? More than ever for the last few years the numbers continue to rise and people coming forward to adopt has not kept pace.
This is a subject close to my heart and I'd love to do something about it. Any ideas welcome.

More/less crosses being bred? Yes, more, we now have the new designer breeds. Are they a good or bad thing though?

Healthier (or not) pedigrees? Just the same as pedigrees some are healthier and some seem to gain he poor health issues of both breeds.

Better/worse ownership? Generally, owners seem more responsible, of course there are still the cruelty cases and abandonment is on the up too, there is a reason for that and I will explain a little here.

Housing: In the days of council houses, tenants would occupy that house for life if they wanted to. They were also allowed to keep pets as long as they were looked after and did not interfere with the living conditions of neighbours. Many tenancy agreements were worded something similar to that. the trend continued with the introduction of housing associations with many of them also allowing pets, although some did not.

Gradually, over the last 10 years there has been a move to not allow social housing tenants to have a dog or dogs. This in turn has led to many, many people needing to take the sad step to give up their dog in order to put a roof over their children's head. Of course this is a very basic version, but it is a sad, sad situation that has led to more dogs being dumped.

Do you ever spare a thought to the homeless person you see huddled with his dog? Quite a high percentage of them remain homeless because they refuse to give up their dog in order to be housed.

These are good questions to raise for discussion and if we can obtain some ideas to help with the homing crisis and trust me there is one. That will be really helpful.
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-12-2015, 06:03 PM
Sometimes a dog is the only companion a homeless person has. I know if I were homeless I'd like a dog by my side.

I think places nor allowing pets is a shame. If Anthony work out a policy requiring responsibility not banning them all together.