Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2015, 11:15 PM

Retained testicle

Had my boy in for a retained testicle op today but they couldn't find the missing one. Vet is talking about a referral for a ultra scan to locate it. She has told me this could cost 1000's !!!!!!! I can't quite get my head around this? It maybe she was including the price of the resulting surgery but even so.

The operation today was only just over £200, surely it shouldn't be much more than that? Obviously it needs to be done but I am wondering how precise an ultra scan would be at locating the testicle? She also said it maybe that he only ever had the one but that would be very unusual. A blood test done in a couple of months would show if this was the case as there would be no testosterone levels in his body?

Any advice/ experinces gratefully received and no my insurance wont pay for it
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-10-2015, 11:24 PM
How old is your boy first of all. Did he have a vet check at 8 weeks before he left for his home with you, or was he vet checked when you got him and took him for his first vax, and were there 2 testicles present at that time.
Lama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2015, 11:26 PM
He was vet checked, they have never been able to find it. He is 18 months now
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-10-2015, 11:31 PM
So he has got a retained testicle then if its never shown.
The op he's had today was that to remove the retained testicle and the testicle thats down.
Lama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2015, 11:37 PM
yes but they could not find it, hence wanting to do a scan which will apparently cost 1000s. However it may not be retained he may just have only had the one
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-10-2015, 11:48 PM
If they couldn't find it when they looked for it, then perhaps he really never had one. Have you asked his breeder if its in the lines, only something like this is often hereditary
Lama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2015, 11:54 PM
yes as I said in first post, vet already said he may never have had one but that it is very unlikley.

All the males in litter have condition bar one and the other one who has been castrated the testicle was found very near where it should be.

I have to have it removed , I just am shocked at how much the scan will be and concerned that it will still not show up as apparently they often do not, especially if not in abdomen
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-10-2015, 09:03 AM
I'd talk to the vet as I doubt very much it's the scan that would cost thousands an mri might but not an ultrasound. Xrays cost several hundred not thousands so just can't see the ultrasound would. I suspect they are talking about the price of the op which if the testicle is playing hide and seek is highly likely.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-10-2015, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I'd talk to the vet as I doubt very much it's the scan that would cost thousands an mri might but not an ultrasound. Xrays cost several hundred not thousands so just can't see the ultrasound would. I suspect they are talking about the price of the op which if the testicle is playing hide and seek is highly likely.
Agree , my boy has just has an ultra sound done along with his annual vaccinations, it cost £150.

As trouble said, if it was a MRI scan, then yes, I can see it costing that much.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-10-2015, 09:23 AM
My boys MRI was about £1600 earlier this year if i remember rightly
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >