Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2015, 01:32 AM

My Poor Herman...

That's hubby's nickname for Callie sometimes. If anyone remembers "The Munsters" on TV. Herman was a Frankenstein monster. Scary looking but really quite goofy and kind when you got to know him. Yesterday I passed by the local dog park. No dogs with me but struck up a conversation with two pleasant older gents.

It seemed like a nice group of sociable humans and pups so I brought Callie this morning. We went in the yard. Callie did a few hello sniffs then wandered off to smell the outer yard. Both gentlemen were now white as sheets and said together " Oh we were getting ready to leave anyway". If he were a beagle you know they would have been fine with him.

One young man thought he was great...that helped a lot.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2015, 09:01 AM
I loved the Munsters!

It must be difficult for you to have to deal with that reaction every time you go out Callie .
I have the opposite problem with Libby, people always want to stroke her and I have to say no as it gets too overwhelming for her.

BTW I dont think Callie would realise that people try to avoid her or why, her feelings wont be hurt.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2015, 10:44 AM
well the way i see it is it is there loss!!!! i have staffies so totally know where you come from.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-10-2015, 11:20 AM
Well they weren't 'real' Dog People were they. My 4 month old puppy often plays with a white staffie, and the other day he had a new gf with him so all 3 played together, I am always cautious with any unfamiliar dogs, you have to be these days, but once I know they're alright then it doesn't matter what they are does it
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2015, 12:02 PM
Lol... I am called Herman the Munster because I am really heavy footed on the stairs etc. Poor dude. Nigredo is a labramutt but his 93 lb size, blackness, and thick coat make people avoid him too.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-10-2015, 01:27 PM
A lot judge dogs by the press or just looks.

I go through it a lot also with the general public.
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2015, 05:10 PM
I was on the beach one day and spied a couple with two Great Danes. Beautiful dogs and I went over and asked the owners if I could touch them. They were surprised and said nobody asks that and generally people avoid them.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-10-2015, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Popster View Post
I was on the beach one day and spied a couple with two Great Danes. Beautiful dogs and I went over and asked the owners if I could touch them. They were surprised and said nobody asks that and generally people avoid them.
It's funny with giant breed dogs.
Half avoid you like the plague, 1/4 run up in a shrieking with a ear piercing voice and run away when they bark, and 1/4 asked if he bites and if they can pet him.