register for free

Dog News

Charity’s warning over ingredients in the treats we feed our dogs

A pet charity is appealing for donations of peanut butter for homeless dogs who go nuts for the sweet treat, but are warning pet owners to be aware of what they are feeding their animals.

Abandoned dogs in the care have found a taste for the nutty paste and enjoy it as an occasional eat and for mental stimulation licking it out of toys.

However, Blue Cross warns people to check the ingredients carefully before they give peanut butter to pooches it can contain Xylitol - an artificial sweetener toxic to dogs.
More Here..

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/n...dogs-1-6914044

Your comments and views:
Jas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-08-2015, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I give our peanut butter sometimes as a treat but I only buy natural ones.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2015, 03:09 PM
I don't understand how people say dogs love peanut butter... I've had many dogs run through here and not a single one would touch it. Xylitol is a fake type of sweetener, why would it be in peanut butter? It's found mostly in chewing gum here and it's such a small amount that I'm sure my large dogs would be fine if they ingested a tad. None of the harmful things for dogs are truly harmful in small doses.
Jas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-08-2015, 03:20 PM
Well I guess not all dogs will like it. Mine adore it that's for sure. Agree with the trace amounts though, especially if only given as an occasional treat.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-08-2015, 03:31 PM
Mine love peanut butter on toast although Syd hated it and would spit it out. My lot also love salted peanuts. I eat sunpat and it doesn't contain xylitol.
What they didn't mention is it's high fat as are peanuts and can cause pancreatitis.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top