Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nellie d
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-07-2015, 08:01 PM

My dog has cushings disease

I have a Westie/Schanazzer cross has been diagnosed with cushings disease and in on Vetoryl 20ml a day he has to take 2 10ml as they don't come in 20ml, he will not take it no matter what I try him on, the vet nurse said to put it at the back of his throat and hold his mouth shut that may be ok once in a while but I could not do it every day, been told not to split the capsules has anybody been in this situation where they have split the capsules they are slow release but what are my options split capsules or nothing
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2015, 08:27 PM
Lacey is a disaster at taking meds and I'm a total push over You have to find his 'chocolate'( not literally of course With mine its RavioliI get 4 or 5 little squares,hand feed her the first two without a pill,then the third one with,well hidden inside,gets another two for being good She loves it and its a huge treat so gulps it down,doesn't even realise Works for me and its stress free ...good luck,hope he's ok xx
SEGB
New Member!
Female 

29-07-2015, 09:11 PM
One of our dogs is on gabapentin capsules at the moment and we tend to put it on small piece of cheese and sort of squeeze it in to a ball around the tablet. He then eats it quite happily. Might be worth a try, if you haven't already.
nellie d
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-07-2015, 10:44 PM
Thank you will try Raveoli
nellie d
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-07-2015, 10:47 PM
Have tried cheese took it a few times then licked the cheese and left capsule thank you for your support
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-07-2015, 08:15 AM
Hello Ellen I am sorry to hear your dog is ill.

This is how I give medication to dogs..
First try not to get stressed, it will make your dog tense up,
..I tilt the dogs head upwards by placing my right hand under the muzzle and gently lifting the head upwards,
..then I put my left hand over the muzzle and exert pressure on both sides of the mouth fingers one side thumb the other to open the jaws,
..when the mouth opens pop the pill at the back of the throat,
..quickly close the mouth keeping the head elevated,
..gently stroke the throat to assist the swallowing response.

This can all be done in one swift gentle movement which takes just a few seconds.

Lastly give a treat and give lots of praise so the experience
will be remembered as something pleasant by the dog

ETA I have found a video which demonstrates this action see at 50 seconds...

nellie d
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-07-2015, 06:31 PM
Milo went to vets today the nurse tried your idea but Milo spit the capsule out when she finished I am going to try myself tomorrow when he is in his own home, the vet has found a heart murmer in Milo, do I let him have more tests or will I leave it in God hands I just want Milo to be happy, sorry to burden you with my feelings
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-07-2015, 08:32 PM
Problem shard nell x. We use real butter. My boy was on gabapenthin for his neck but also 2x thyroid Meds twice a day. He jumps up when he hears me pop the lurpack xxx
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2015, 01:46 AM
Harvey needs daily meds for his heart, i use a piece of Milky Way. Its easier than stressing Harvey by pill popping.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-07-2015, 08:43 AM
I know chocolate isn't good for dogs but with one of mine I used rolos. I cut them in half and mashed the tablet into the caramel, this was the only thing that worked, with everything else she was able to separate the tablet from the treat.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >