Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Swan81
New Member!
Male 

06-07-2015, 02:38 PM

Advice needed dogs have burnt looking testicles after kennels

Hi, I have two dogs which have been in a kennel for 3 days and now have black/Red swollen testicles which seem to be sore, phoned and asked kennel if they knew what would be wrong as they can't really sit, they say its cause they sat on concrete and some dogs have reaction and there's nothing that can be done but bath them and they will clear, I do have pics, but does anyone here have any clue what it could be and what I should do (it has only happened at this kennel never at any other one). Thanks
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2015, 04:30 PM
I would have a vet look at them and let them give you their opinion. If that opinion points to anything wrong at the kennels, then I'm sure both you and your vet will report it
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2015, 04:39 PM
Hello Rob it could be connected to sitting on a hard concrete floor. Remember concrete contains lime and that can burn the skin in some instances (depending on the age and composition of the concrete).

A suitable cream may help . I would see a vet because such a sensitive area is involved.

Were there no dog beds in the kennel
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2015, 05:59 PM
I think the kennels explanation sounds plausible tbh concrete is rough, contains lime and it depends what they've cleaned it with too. It could be a reaction to the concrete or an allergic reaction to the cleanser. Dogs in hot weather will naturally look for a cooler surface, obviously concrete in the sun isn't cool but in the shade it would be. Do yoyr dog lie with there lrgs splayed that would bring the testicles into contact with the concrete too.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-07-2015, 09:51 PM
I would guess it's the disenfectant they use to wash the floors ? I've lime washed stables before and guess that would be a higher contact than concrete. And hands were fine. Left eye wasn't mind when I splashed the flipping stuff in it! ��
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-07-2015, 10:05 PM
For cheapness maybe the kennels used watered down bleach and didn't wash it out afterwards properly? We quarry tiled out all our kennels and used a very expensive product to keep down infection. Never had this problem in 21 years of kennel ownership. Could be it was left to the staff who were not trained on kennel hygene