Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-07-2015, 06:36 AM

Pyometra in an 11 year old girl..

I am not sure what to do..
My 11 year old Mastiff/malamute cross has pyometra ( I think ) I have had a girl with this before so I know the signs and will be going to the vet this morning...
In a way "lucky" that it is an open pyometra so all the "muck" is coming out..
Am I going to put her through an operation at her age, knowing that she is already a ripe old lady and will she survive the op...
or are there any other options?
I will be talking to my vet and see if there are any other ways of dealing with it without having to put her through an hysterectomy..
just trying to get my head round it that she might not be with us much longer, she was born here so will be very hard.. Even my 2 other dogs are very gentle around her right now as she brought them up from 5.5 weeks old..
sorry about rambling on.. will keep you all updated but any suggestions appreciated ...
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2015, 07:37 AM
Sorry to hear this. Your vet will advise and yes she should have an operation as I don't think they can do anything without one. If she is fit and healthy apart from the pyometra then I am sure she will be ok. Your vet will tell you. Good Luck and please let us know.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2015, 08:01 AM
Hi Eva sadly Pyo can strike at any age, sometimes a vet will try treatment with antibiotics if it is caught at a very early stage but it almost always results in an operation.

Years ago I had an elderly bitch operated on for pyo and she was fine and that was before there was the benefit of modern anesthetics so try to stay positive
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

06-07-2015, 08:11 AM
I don't think you can avoid surgery as such but I do believe these days they use Alizin to expel the contents of the uterus making it an easier op with less chance of infection. Alizin is usually used to terminate pregnancy. So instead of an emergency op it becomes a straightforward spay, which isn't great for an elderly dog but far better than operating with a toxic load.

ETA studies have shown Alizin combined with antibiotics may work without the op and no repeat infection.
http://www.belbergere.com/documents/...yTreatment.pdf
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-07-2015, 09:20 AM
I am sorry to read this no experience but wishing your girl all the best and thinking of you both.
I am sure after talking to your vet whatever decision you make will be in your girls best interests.
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-07-2015, 10:52 AM
Shirley, thank you for that info and that is the road we are advised on at the moment. ( with Alizin ) first time I heard of this so fingers crossed it will work.
as the temperatures at the moment reach nearly 40 degrees most days, I wouldn't like to have her operated on right now but have discussed it with my vet and might have her ovaries removed after the summer..
reading all the info you gave me, I might not have to go down that road.
Just feeling a bit better about it now and we just take each day as it comes.
The good thing is , is that it is an open pyometra so it already comes out in "bucket" loads..
Had to bring the vets scales home as no way we would get her in the car and he needed the excact weight for the treatment..
Thanks for all your info and will keep everyone updated..
Well first "horse " tablet gone down a treat..
they are massive but she is a big girl, weighing 65 kg
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-07-2015, 10:54 AM
Always worry about my babes.. they are my life..
got one with spay incontinence, one with EPI ( exocrine pancreatic insufficiency ) and now one with pyometra.. but will do anything for them and just don't want them to suffer.. thank you for the advice and thoughts x
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

06-07-2015, 10:58 AM
I just hope it works for you both x
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2015, 02:20 PM
I do hope it works for your poor dog. Did the vet not see her?
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-07-2015, 03:12 PM
I work very close with my vet and my initial thoughts on things are mostly correct.. and have had a girl with pyometra before.. He was busy and on his own and didn't have the Alazin until tomorrow anyway ( enough for my big girl ) but he is coming to the house tomorrow morning and he will check her over then.. you have to remember I live in the pampas in Spain, not in a build up area..
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >