Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-04-2015, 04:12 PM

Questions about having a bitch speyed

I want to have Misty speyed. She has just come into season at today and I understand that it should be done at the mid point between 2 seasons. Her seasons seem to be 5 months apart which I reckon means she should have the operation in mid July?

When she is "done" are they knocked for 6 for a few days or jumping about as soon as the anaesthetic wears off and how long a recuperation period should I expect? I presume that it's if all goes to plan it's only a short procedure and wouldn't require an over night stay?

2 vets have given me prices so far, one near work and our home vets. The one near work who should be trying to attract me as a new client is about 43% higher what questions should I be asking to ensure the quotes are on a like for like basis? Misty comes to work with me so it doesn't really matter which vet does the operation.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-04-2015, 05:20 PM
Hi Nic I try to have the spay mid season so that is usually three months from the start of a season.

I had a problem preventing Chloe my latest dog from leaping around the moment she got home and saved a couple of films I wanted to watch so I could sit on the floor and have 'quiet time' with her .

My current vet insists on an overnight stay.She says she feels happier that way knowing that she wants the best for my dog I go along with it though I hate the wait.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2015, 05:26 PM
Geez,its 8 years ago since Lacey got done Time flies
Left her in at 10,she was home by 4,the same day.Vet said she should be up and about that evening,but she wasn't Took her about 3 days tbh before she was really back to herself.All dogs are different,some recover very quickly,others are a bit slower.She was absolutely fine though,never looked back
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2015, 08:23 PM
Never had a dog spayed, but had several cats. The cats came home the same day, there's absolutely no need for an overnight stay and they probably get to charge more for it. Say no to that, especially if they charge more. The animal will be a tad groggy for the rest of the day and may not eat, but she will be fine. One cat did remove her stitches, but it wasn't a huge deal. If the animal is picking at it too much, you might need a lampshade collar, but this usually isn't necessary. Cats here cost about $100 and dogs about $150. I never opt for paying more, so if the office is accredited etc. and everything looks good... I go with the cheaper option. Never had an issue and we've had 3 cats done.
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-04-2015, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the info.

I have had 2 quotes £183 and £260 which is quite a difference!
Meg
Supervisor

23-04-2015, 09:53 PM
Hi Nic the cost seems to vary according to where you live , the bigger the dog the more it costs usually.

The second price quoted does seem a little high but it is 6 years since Chloe was spayed and the cost of veterinary care has escalated since then.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

23-04-2015, 10:58 PM
The last female I had spayed came flying out to see me at the speed of light. A lot depends on whether they've been given pain relief tbh. The only way I could keep her calm was to sleep with her.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-04-2015, 01:02 AM
I dunno in the states they have spay clinics pretty much nationwide. A quarter of the price of a vet. Don't know if you have them there. Dogs, cats, all our critters are fixed. Ideally you want to keep them a bit rested for at least a few hours after the procedure. Then again it depends on the animal. Callie was blitzed when he came home. However Stumpy the cat was home for an hour and leaped up to her favorite perch. A shelf some ten feet off the ground. I thought she'd rip herself apart, but no she healed just fine.
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2015, 07:42 AM
my last bitch had the laparoscopy spay , came leaping out to greet me , ate all her normal food that night an d was gagging for a walk the next morning! back to her normal self after 2days !
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2015, 03:09 PM
I have never had any problems with pain after a spey - rather more problems keeping them restrained! Mine have always gone in at 9am, and been ready for collection by the evening surgery time. I can't give any advice about price as the last one was done 12 years ago. I have been very interested by the descriptions of laparoscopic speying, but haven't had the chance to pursue it further yet.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >