register for free

Dog News

Dos and Don’ts of Running With Your Dog

Working out together can help both you and your furry friend stay healthy and happy
More here,
http://time.com/3766943/running-exercise-dogs/

Your comments and views:
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2015, 09:15 PM
It's a nice general article but I wish they wouldn't have said that a great dane needs more time than a jack russell. A decent sized jack russell or other well sized light terriers could be a nice slow jogging partner. A great dane, not so much.
I like that it does say that pugs and other dogs with a similar snort nose shouldn't be jogging partners. And the mention of over heating. Some dogs wont stop if they over heat, they will carry on going just because that's their personality. It's up to the owner to get them to stop, rest and cool down.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-04-2015, 09:23 PM
Jogging with my dog ? Ha, gave up running years ago, one of the advantages of being retired.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2015, 11:53 PM
I'm too unfit to jog worth anything, and currently WAY too anemic to jog without getting instantly tired. When the dogs and I hiked, I keep Bunny on a leash at a nice, slow pace and Nigredo is allowed to run ahead pretty much as far as he likes. The key is for the dog to be able to run at his pace, and not yours.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2015, 04:12 AM
I totally agree, it's sad to see some local marathon hopefuls with their pups being pulled behind. It's up to the owner to realize hey I'm dragging this poor doggie.
My Sophie has long legs, for the most part six or seven miles and she's just warming up. Callie is out of proportion. A huge head and chest on bitty legs. Three blocks and he's about done.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2015, 04:23 AM
Nigredo is slow and awkward, but he can run and run almost non-stop. HOWEVER, being mixed with a lot of Great Pyrenees... having all that thick fur and being a slightly pudgy dude... he can over heat easily. This is why we go in the woods where the trees keep the sun off of us and there's a lake right down yonder that he can jump in if he gets hot. I didn't realize he'd overheat as my last dog never did this and when he was a pup, he collapsed right near the waters edge, extremely overheated. Had the lake not been right there, he might've been in BAD shape. Now I make sure we stay under the cover.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-04-2015, 08:23 AM
Georgina run ... not on your Nelly! It's beneath her dignity to move faster than an sedate trot!
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-04-2015, 10:07 AM
I just have trouble with braking ��. My boys is a machine!
sandgrubber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2015, 12:52 PM
Here . . . and lots of other places . . . I wish people would provide evidence for their opinions about dog care. There is no question that a lot of dogs and a lot of people are too fat, and that obesity is bad for health. There's precious little research available on how best to exercise a dog. So far as I know there's nothing available to say whether and when hard surfaces are bad. There's some evidence that stairs are bad. No research on what gait is best (walk, trot, run). Pathetically little evidence on what age to start running, whether this varies by breed, etc. Warm-ups? Are you kidding? I open the door and say "go get squirrely". Dogs do a fast lap around the yard. Is that a warmup. Or are we supposed to do stretches?
I run a two or three miles a day, partly on paved bike path, partly on limestone track, with three Labradors (aged 1.5, 5, and 10 yrs). The dogs love it, and it seems to be good for their health, or at least, to do no harm. I start pups running at three months . . . far younger than usually advised, and have done so on half a dozen pups. This has caused no problems...pups move on to old age without arthritis. So I think moderate exercise is good. But lots of people do no exercise or very little exercise . .. I suspect this is NOT good.
As for the human side.... exercise helps keep my BP down and to prevent weight gain.. . and some research results seem to suggest it will help ward dementia (I'm 66).
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2015, 06:34 PM
I've posted something very similar on a different thread. Just because an individual can survive with no apparent issues doing something doesn't mean that another individual with a susceptible predisposition won't have massive negative ramifications from doing the same thing.
Your pups might have been fine, heck most might be fine. But why risk it? It could be that your next pup (heaven forbid) has a slightly dodgy knee, something that with care as he is growing might never have been a problem, but because the pup goes jogging on hard surfaces the impact of repeat ware on such a young and already weak area causes the knee irreparable damage. Before you know it, your 6 month old pup is walking with a limp after having a metal pin drilled onto their leg and is going to be on anti-inflammatories for life.

I might be a bore, but I alway err on the side of caution especially when it comes to my none human family.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top