Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2015, 02:50 PM

Did they do okay?

So, I always like to learn more about dogs. Yesterday, the dogs and I went walking on the park trails for a bit. We went by two foreign women, one of whom had a stick and both of them speaking some kind of strange language... Indian women, I think.

Here is their reaction to the women without me doing or saying anything.

Both dogs went towards them, but didn't pull or put lots of tension on the leash, and neither made any noise. Did they do okay? Or is another reaction desirable? What do you expect of your dogs in these situations? What do you get from them?

These are two women, one with a stick (for striking approaching dogs), both speaking in a foreign language, and seemed leery of dogs (or maybe me) as they went off the trail and into the grass quite a bit before I got ready to pass them and got quiet, as well... and frankly I'd like them to stay in their lane of sorts.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-03-2015, 03:00 PM
cant see the pic till get home but I do know that certain religions see dogs as unclean so avoid touching them at all costs. Maybe that was it?

or they saw the devil in the eyes of nigredo and his side kick and anticipated throats beig viciously ripped out?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2015, 03:19 PM
Well, I don't know their religion. Jade was muzzled, so maybe that was it? But they also got silent as we approached. I normally veer off into the grass as we pass, and draw the dogs up... but they had already gone into the grass so no need.

They clearly wanted no parts of us. They held their heads down so as not to make eye contact with me, and they did not wave or anything. Pretty unusual for these parts. I guess some giant lady with one giant dog (you will never see dogs as big as Nigredo here at all) and a muzzled dog unnerved them.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2015, 03:26 PM
I think they did well, I didn't see any obvious tensing or over interest from either of them.
Looked like Nigredo wanted to say hello, but wasn't going to put much effort into it.
Sorry haven't been that active recently, are you having problems with them?

Cookie always had a thing against 'chavs' for want of a better word, and this spread to anyone wearing a hoodie, riding a scooter/moped (strange as I rode a scooter and he never had a problem with that), wearing any sort of headscarf or anything that fit loosely around someones head or face. Actual scarfs were fine as were woolly hats, caps or similar. His biggest thing was hi-vis jackets.
We fixed the hi-vis thing pretty quickly, worked on the head scarf thing and didn't worry too much about the chav thing, he wasn't aggressive like hunt them dog sort of this, just wary and didn't like them getting too close. Might sound bad but to me it seemed like a good thing.

Sorry rewatched a couple of times, it's hard only being able to see the back of their heads, I didn't even realise that Jade was muzzled until you pointed it out. She does look a little focused on them, but that may just be her natural ear position. She seems more intent when vering of the path at the end, maybe trying to sniff where they had been walking? Or just generally sniffing around.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2015, 05:02 PM
I think they did okay, too. Nigredo wanted to say hi, like he always does, but I think he kinda realized that they weren't dog friendly. I haven't been having any issues with them, they've been doing very well, actually. I'm just always trying to get opinions and knowledge on dogs, especially these two . My Jadey queen can be a TAD standoffish, but not usually with women like these. They did sniff the area where they walked... think that's normal? Jade's GSD bunny ears can make her hard to read at times.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-03-2015, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
I think he kinda realized that they weren't dog friendly. I haven't been having any issues with them, they've been doing very well, actually.
You said you thought these two women might have been Indian and as mentioned above their ignorance of dogs would have likely made them nervous which would make them sweat (albeit in microscopic amounts) your two would have picked up on this and would have smelt even the tiniest amount of sweat from them.

I think your two dogs behaved perfectly, far better than the two women, but then we are not comparing like with like are we when it comes to attitudes give me a dog anytime
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2015, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
You said you thought these two women might have been Indian and as mentioned above their ignorance of dogs would have likely made them nervous which would make them sweat (albeit in microscopic amounts) your two would have picked up on this and would have smelt even the tiniest amount of sweat from them.

I think your two dogs behaved perfectly, far better than the two women, but then we are not comparing like with like are we when it comes to attitudes give me a dog anytime
They were Indian, Pakistani, or something like that. I'm not sure of their religion. They were speaking a foreign language, but I couldn't recognize it. I know Spanish, French, Cantonese, Hebrew, Portuguese, and several others when I hear them (dont speak them though) but could not recognize their language. I hope my dogs did not scare them, but their reaction was way different than what I'm used to. I wish I knew why. I think it was the muzzle on my Jade, though.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2015, 06:56 PM
From what I could see the pups were perfectly well behaved. Seeing even a small dog in a muzzle spooks most people, so that might have had something to do with it. Hey, you can't take people personally. We just got "the look" from somebody in the vet's office..."Sure lady, he's going to munch your Maltipoo and you're next...". Then the staff more than made up for it. The nurse sat with him the whole time showing the love. She was a rat-lover too.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
What did the woman do wrong exactly 017: the video shows two woman walking one way minding their own business , and Myra walking the ither way with her dogs ....also minding their own business...

Not sure why their ethnic origin or what language they spoke has to do with anything, they ( all of you ) were out for a walk minding your own business and that what the video shows..

Some people don't like dogs, regardless of what religion they are, no hidden meaning behind it , plus how do you know the stick she was carrying was to beat off dogs ????
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2015, 07:26 PM
Jackie, I didn't say anything about their religion, but that is the only reason people carry sticks here for, me included. It's only to fend off an attacking dog. We posed no threat to them, and everyone went along their way with no issues. But the fact that they had begun to get away from us long before we even reached them made me think. But I think it was Jade's muzzle... or perhaps Nigredo's size. In any case, I was only trying to evaluate my dogs responses to the women.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >