register for free

Dog News

Dogs killed on the roads must be returned to owners, ministers say

Pet owners will be reunited with their dogs that have been killed on the roads in order to give grieving animal lovers “peace of mind”, under plans to be backed by MPs this week.
A campaign for the so-called “Harvey’s Law” – named after a poodle that went missing in 2013 - is calling for the Highways Agency to be required to scan animals found on the motorways for microchips which could locate their owners.
The campaigners say the Agency has been abandoning its duties to ensure that contractors working on the roads always seek to reunite missing or dead pets with their owners.
A petition calling for the new law has attracted more than 100,000 signatures and the proposal will be debated in Parliament on Monday, with transport minister John Hayes and Michael Dugher, Labour’s shadow transport secretary, expected to pledge their support for the new rules.
The roads minister, Mr Hayes, said: “Clearly when a dog dies on the road, it ought to be returned to its owner if at all possible.
Related Articles
The home where the only pay is happiness
All dogs will now be microchipped 05 Feb 2013
Microchips for all dogs 08 Feb 2012
“As the owner of two much loved pets myself, I understand the distress people suffer if their animal is lost and never found. I have instructed the Highways Agency to review its scanning policy to ensure greater consistency across the country.”
More here...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/heal...sters-say.html

Your comments and views:
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2015, 11:10 PM
If you brought me my mangled, possibly partly decomposed, and barely recognizable road kill pet, I'd likely vomit first, and rush to tell you to take him away. I don't know how many people would want pets who've been run over brought to them. I certainly would not.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2015, 12:35 AM
If I had a missing dog, I would need to see the body to be certain that it actually was my dog. However damaged the body was, I would have closure in knowing that the dog was not wandering, injured and in pain, or sitting in a shelter somewhere not known to me - I would find that almost impossible to live with.
I have seen a few accident damaged dog bodies in my time, and they are only occasionally badly disfigured. Dogs tend to take a heavy impact, bounce away, and either die of shock, or internal injuries. A dense coat also hides a lot. If it were a human relative, someone would have to identify the body, so why not a much loved dog?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2015, 01:21 AM
Dogs are often left here to decompose in the road. And I've personally seen dogs lying in the road badly disfigured as they're run over again and again. If I were forced to identify the body, then I'd do it... but I'd not want to. As for the people vs. dog thing, it's best I not touch that. If my dog got run over, scan his microchip and tell me his fate, please don't bring his body to me. Identification is hardly the thing, as if they're bringing the dog to you as his owners they've already identified the dog as yours and are simply giving you the freedom of resting him yourself. In defense, I'd not want to see a mangled and dead relative from a car accident, either. It wouldn't bring me closure, would just upset me.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2015, 03:02 AM
Twice in recent years family cats have died by the roadside. My poor Kashi, especially Kashi...but Delilah too. No I didn't gain anything by disposing of the bodies. Delilah with a few stubborn flies covering his eyes. But it's a personal choice with critters and humans. After 9/11 in America some people waited for a finger tip, a shred of DNA to say that was the person who didn't come home. Then they gave the shred a full funeral. Me? After a time they've either found a new home or they've left this world...I don't need a physical confirmation.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2015, 08:37 AM
It is very personal. Can and is very upsetting but better to know than not to know. imo.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-03-2015, 09:11 AM
It is very personal. Can and is very upsetting but better to know than not to know.
Absolutely Brenda and I would not want any dog of mine just left there .

Not long ago a neighbour told my DIL they had seen one of her tortoiseshell cats dead on the road so my son was dispatched to deal with it and took it in a box to the vet to have the microchip checked.

It turned out to be their next door neighbour's cat not theirs.
Not a pleasant job but my son didn't want it left where the children could see it when they went out.

If we have animals I think we have a duty to care for them whatever happens and this includes disposing of their remains if possible.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2015, 09:37 AM
Nah, it's really not my job to scrape dogs off the road. As for children, it will not kill them to see it. I've seen plenty of roadkill, disgusting but not deadly. But again, roadkill is very common here, especially squirrels and other forest wildlife. Every single kid here has seen it, no doubt. The kids are fine.

When you have a pet put down, you're not forced to watch or take the body, I think the same should apply here. If you want to, fine, but it's certainly not a duty of mine to dispose of and view bodies. Others are paid to do that.

Closed casket funerals and mortuaries prevent loved ones from having to deal with (or visualizing more than strictly necessary) the bodies of their dead, so I don't think there is an obligation to dispose of the dead... nope. It's optional. If I needed to identify the body, I would, but I'd never want to see it again.

As for knowing, if it's my dogs microchip or collar tag, and I get a brief description (hardly even necessary) I already know the dog is mine. There is no need to see him.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2015, 10:46 AM
There again Myra, I would have to hold and gently talk to my animals while they were being euthanised. A really horrid experience, but to me, a final duty. I know it's all in the mind - after all I am not there when they are anaesthetised for surgery - but it just feels the right thing to do.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2015, 11:13 AM
Unfortunately not all dog owners care either way.In the minority of course,but not all dogs killed on the road are a result of incidents like escaping from a back garden of running away because of fireworks,slipping their collar while out walking etc.Some dogs are left to roam...still!!Owners have no idea where they are at or what they are up too.Dogs pay the ultimate price for their owners negligence sometimes in cases of road death.I'm not saying all,accidents do happen even to the best cared for dogs in the world,but there would be fewer bodies to collect if everyone took their responsibility 100% seriously.
Touch wood I'm never in that situation,must be devastating to receive that news,heartbreaking.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top